Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone! This is my first post, I finally joined. You guys are great!

I have been really interested in the PPSH-41 for quite some time. I was looking into getting a kit but I've been reading that these kits are heavily damaged/missing parts, with the front trunnion cut. I am not interested in the newer kits as of now (from AA, TNW and such. Not knocking them at all...they make nice stuff :)). I am just interested in an original ppsh-41. If anyone can answer these for me that would be great, I have lots of questions regarding the build, and before I start I know all of my local laws and federal regulations. Questions are below...

Where do you recommend buying a kit?

Are most kits cut through the trunnion?

Do the kits include the barrel and rear latch?

How thick is the metal on the receiver/barrel shroud?

Anyone have experience welding it (receiver)?

Where to get/how to make missing receiver parts?

Do the original kits come with full auto trigger group? Are there semi-auto available?

Anything I'm missing that's really important to the build? I'm a sponge that loves to soak up info!
PLEASE ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THESE KITS.....POST SOMETHING :) I would like this post to be a one stop shop on the PPSH-41! Thanks much!!!!!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
For the info you want you would be much better served on another board. There are boards here and on other sites specifically aimed at semi auto builds of full auto guns. This being an automatic board most of the guys here are more interested in questions related to the full auto guns. Look down the list of boards here on the gunboards site for the semi auto builders forum....

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?88-The-Semi-Auto-Builders-Forum

Hope that helps some and please don't feel like I'm trying to get rid of you.....you are welcome here as well but more info is elsewhere.

Frank

·
Registered
313 Posts
best kits for rebuild at a decent price are the polish kits centerfire blew out 3-4 years ago, as they had all receiver pieces and a small trunion cut, and were unissued. they go about $250-300 now on gunbroker, and were $115 in 2006-2007. trunion cut is no big deal. you just weld it up and drill it out using the axis holes in the receiver as a guide. rewelding receiver pieces is no big deal. just make up a copper backing bar and go to town, tacking thoroughly and correcting warpage after shape grinding with an acetylene torch, then final grinding. be sure to install a blocking rail at 9 or 12 oclock (depending on final bolt design) before welding parts together.

bolt mods include converting to floating firing pin. FCG can be from an SKS, or you can cut off rear of bolt and go striker fire.

PPSh41 were "pre-ignition" design. the fixed firing pin would actually fire the primer while the bolt was sliding into battery (milliseconds, but important). when you convert to semi-auto you will need to retain as much bolt weight as possible and probably upgrade your spring tension a bit to keep the case in the chamber long enough to let the pressure drop before the case begins to back out under blowback pressure. if it comes out too early you will know from the bulged case bases and the gas in your face. semi-PPS43 builds are famous for this, as they were not correctly engineered to account for pre-ignition within the various lots of surplus ammo available.

semi PPSh41 is an advanced build, not for the beginner. it requires welding, lathe quality drilling and fitting, etc. getting your foreign parts count down so that you have no more than 10 is difficult if you use an SKS group for FCG. you also need to mill a blocking bar groove in the bolt, and permanantely extend barrel, or SBR it, in which case foreign parts count is a non-issue. barrel should be permanantly installed by welding unless you SBR or extend the shroud to 16"+ from the breach face.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much amafrank, I'll re-post it on the other form.....see what happens.

justashooter!!! Thanks for the info! Never tried a full build that required so much modification (for semi-auto). I might just build the full auto version and burry it in my backyard for when the commies come marching down the street! No but realistically, there doesn't seem to be a lot involved in this build (full auto) other then piecing together the shredded receiver. This gun appears to be very simple....I would know for sure, never had a chance to check one out in person. I was able to find this....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=163795766

or for the actual company website....

http://amp-engineering.com/

....very cool, but a bit pricey. I would still need to find a kit with most of the trunnion section on the receiver. I would have to make one if not. How would I go about that...with the sheet steel, would you happen to know what gauge I would need. Im not gonna lie....welding skills arent to great and knowledge base if fairly limited (teaching myself and I have an idiot for a student!) How thick should the copper plate/bar be? Thicker would help with thermal absorption?
I was also reading that barrels and firing pins are a nightmare to find. Also that the firing pins where of poor quality and would break often. Well thanks again man, I'm looking to order a kit from somewhere within the next 2 weeks or so.

I appreciate all your help and the quick responses!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts