Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding a PPS43-C, in 7.62x25 that I've had for years.

I've only taken it to the range several times but I've had this issue where I will load up a mag with 10 rounds or so (my range only allows 10 at a time) and it will feed the first 8 or 9 rounds reliably but then goes "click".... When I dump the mag, I will always find the last round, loose inside the gun, with the bullet smashed into the cartridge case.....

It came with 4 mags and I'm wondering if I just need to do a better job of marking the mags and making sure I try each one or is there some sort of other feed issue? Honestly it does scare me a bit to consistently have the last round result in the bullet being jammed down into case.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
bwayne ---- I have a PPS 43 c in 7.62x25mm like yours. I've experienced a similar problem but the round that didn't chamber was just loose in the gun's action but did not have the bullet jammed into the case. If I were you I'd mark the mag that was inside the gun when this mis function occurred . Load your 10 rounds into the other mags and see if you have the same experience. My PPS 43 likes fairly warm ammo so that is the way I load it from my loading bench.
There could be some kind of roughness on the follower of a magazine that the rounds one laying on top of the others above the follower don't feel. The upper rounds only contacting the round below it slides easily into the chamber. Only the bottom round (last one in the mag) is effected by the rough spot and doesn't feed properly. The bolt still grabs the last round and slams it too high against the breach of the chamber jamming the bullet into the case. Polish the follower of each magazine and see if that helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bwayne ---- I have a PPS 43 c in 7.62x25mm like yours. I've experienced a similar problem but the round that didn't chamber was just loose in the gun's action but did not have the bullet jammed into the case. If I were you I'd mark the mag that was inside the gun when this mis function occurred . Load your 10 rounds into the other mags and see if you have the same experience. My PPS 43 likes fairly warm ammo so that is the way I load it from my loading bench.
There could be some kind of roughness on the follower of a magazine that the rounds one laying on top of the others above the follower don't feel. The upper rounds only contacting the round below it slides easily into the chamber. Only the bottom round (last one in the mag) is effected by the rough spot and doesn't feed properly. The bolt still grabs the last round and slams it too high against the breach of the chamber jamming the bullet into the case. Polish the follower of each magazine and see if that helps.
Thanks I was thinking the same of trying multiple mags first. That being said a bit scary having a round get "jammed" like that. Not sure the danger level actually but it has happened at least 6 times so far with nothing worse than me having to throw the rounds into the dummy can.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have PPS-43 with 6 mags, but never had such issue. My range allows only 6 rounds in a pistol.
But, when I had similar issue with CETME and H&K mags I used to put 12 shot shells under 6 new rounds to fix it and not get fined....

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
What is the point of loading only 6 rounds into a mag. that is designed for much more ? I understand and don't blame you for not wanting to get fined . If there is a range rule that limits a piece to 6 rounds I guess I'd just have to find another range. I've used commercial ranges before but there was never a limit on the rounds in a magazine. I could always load a full magazine (32 rounds) in one of my full auto pieces and fire away. Even the range master would come over to watch and I'd let him / her rattle off a full mag. They would always enjoy that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.