Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my new PPS43 to the range today. The only ammo I had was some Norinco and some Seller Bellot. Well, I loaded a mag with 5 rounds of Norinco. First shot, no problem, second shot fires the second and the third round. Third shot/ fourth round, no problem. Fourth shot/ fifth round no problem. Load up a second mag with another five rounds of Norinco and the same thing happens. So, I drop the mag and clear the fourth round from the chamber. The fourth round has a hit from the firing pin, but it wasn't hard enough to fire the round. So I decide to switch to the Seller Bellot. I load three rounds in the mag, walk up to the line, insert the mag, rack the bolt, and all three rounds fire without me pulling the trigger. Luckily I had the muzzle pointed at the backstop. Seems to me the firing pin spring isn't strong enough. Looks like I'll be calling MGS in the morning. I wish I would of had some surplus, but the tin I ordered didn't come in yet.
Here's a pic of the round that chambered, but didn't fire.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's scary and I would not shoot it again until the issue is resolved. You were wise to stand down, as I don't think surplus would have done any better.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
If the problem had only been with the Norinco I would have said try other ammo, but since the S&B did the same thing I agree it's the firearm. The reason is I had a TT-33 dump a full mag of Norinco once. It never did it before or since. Thanks for the heads up and I'll take extra care when shooting mine for the first time.

One aspect of the design that might need looking at is the piece on the recoil rod that the spring carries forward which in turn pushes the bolt forward. (I would call this a "bolt carrier" but it fits inside the bolt rather than around it like a typical bolt carrier.) It "surrounds" the firing pin as it passes through the bolt body. I wonder if yours is binding on the firing pin and holding it forward against the force of the firing pin return spring.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ted, that's worth looking into. When I push the back of the firing pin with my finger the firing pin spring feels pretty stout. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the primers when comparing the Norinco and the Seller Bellot?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had an AK that slam fired a 30 round mag. That scared the sh*t out of me.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I like the control of the bump fire compared to the wild ride of the slam fire.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to Wise Lite today. Very nice people. The pistol goes back to them tomorrow. I also went to the range today and found six of the nine Norinco casings from the fired rounds. I could not find any of the three S&B casings. Here's a pic of the casings. The round on the right is the round I cleared from the chamber.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Is the S&B ammo new manufacture???
S&B boxer primers are very soft, there were some probs with them in Molots and Tigrs herein Germany.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it back in January and still had a problem with it slam firing. Sent the bolt back and just got it back a couple of days ago. I haven't had a chance to fire it to see if it works properly.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
I bought one but I have yet to fire mine. I hope I don't encounter any problems!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought one but I have yet to fire mine. I hope I don't encounter any problems!
My suggestion is to only load two rounds in the magazines, fire the first round and then manually eject the second round to check and see if the primer is hit by the firing pin when the bolt closes. I would do this around 6 times. If everything goes okay try loading the magazine with 5 rounds. Remember to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Also, inspect the firing pin where the hammer strikes it. There have been two redesigns of the firing pin. Some of the first and second designs cracked.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had an AK that slam fired a 30 round mag. That scared the sh*t out of me.
Which is why I always have my AK firmly shouldered when I chamber a round, just in case I get to have some extra fun with it :p

Hasn't happened yet, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts