Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for the original barrels for a PPS 43? And also the trunnions and supports? I have a parts kit, but with no barrel and the trunnion is there, but it has been partially cut. I was wondering if anyone knows a source for these. Also, is there any source of assembly/dissasembly instructions?
Thanks folks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey wes. a company in tucson az has a barrel of barrels. its called omega weapons systems.
http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/
make sure to call as he is not very computer savvy. i believe his name is don. i just built one and here is the link to the build if you are interested.
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=99;t=21757
i followed a tutorial here
http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php?topic=76.0
this is a place of a great wealth of knowledge.
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=399
you have to join here also. if you join any of them, let them know i sent you. it makes me look good...lol.
you have to join both but you can for free. i suggest reading as much about others builds as you can before you start.
mgs is where i got my trunnion and bracket.
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=323
it is listed as 69.95. i got mine for 39.00 iirc, just months ago. if you are able to machine your own, i have measurements. is this your first build? if so and you need to know the legality s, i can send you to another site for info. are you building pistol or carbine? you may be able to google "pps43 trunnion" and find a cheaper price, but probably not. what kit do you have? do you have a flat. or is it bent. who made receiver repair part? some trunnions will not fit w/ some receivers. i have drawings for complete receiver if needed. you can e-mail me at email removed due to inconsiderate people who barrage me w/ requests for drawings and neither acknowledge receipt of said drawings or even offer a thank you or a "those drawing were fucking worthless" hope this has been of some help, rick

LOOK IT UP YOURSELF!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, first off, I want to say thanks, that is a lot of good info.
And to answer your questions, I've been trying to read up on it, and I'm still soaking up as much info as I can find :) The kit I have is one I got from Sportsmans Guide a while back, when I bought it it was sort of an impulse buy, mostly because of the price. I don't currently have a receiver section, but I intend to buy one of the ones from stenparts. I wouldn't mind getting a flat, bt I really don't have free access to a press, and I don't have any plans for a bending jig. I intend to make a pistol out of it, as I want it original length, but I don't want to go through the hassle of registering a sbr. I really want to just get all of my parts ready for now, as I wont be 21 for 8 months, I can't legally own a pistol yet. And this is my firts build, I have worked on farm equipment, as well as built my own equipment from the ground up for several years, but I've neer built a firearm, and I know it is a whole different creature than equipment. I want to get all the info I can before I start. Thanks for all the links, they have a lot of info and seem like they will be helpful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
learn what is needed to make it semi auto and in what order to do them as doing it wrong can put you on the wrong side of the law. i made my own flat out of 14 ga. cold rolled steel. i bent it by finding the right size pipe to match inside of finished receiver. i clamped the pipe down on the center line of the receiver and tack welded it on both ends to hold it in place. then i bent each side up w a little heat, a little at a time.good luck, rick

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that is part of the reason I've really been doing a lot of research, I want to make sure I don't violate any of their laws, as much as I would like to own an original PPS, I really don't want to do prison time. Thanks a lot for all of the links and info though, it is very helpful. One question though, when you made your flat, how did you cut it? Plasma, bandsaw, etc?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I build Receiver flats, trunnion plates and trunnions. You can contact me here of on weapons guild. I have built a few of these and the KP44 cousins. You can see my build tutorial of the KP44 on weapons guild.

If your interested, pm me here or on W/G.

Thanks,
LR

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks

·
Administrator
9,614 Posts
Barrels for PPS and PPSh are easily made by turning down "H" (heavy") Barrels of SMLE (Lithgow) type. That way the "Trunnion end" of the barrel with its Flange etc, is easily turned out of the Barrel Shank of the SMLE Barrel (Have done several already to replace "cross drilled" deact barrels for Movie Guns.). Chambering is also quite easy, even without a proper 7,62x25 reamer. ( Just drill to correct depth with 23/64ths or 11/32nds drill, then Taper out for the case body taper with a Bearing Scraper ( to head size .390) followed a Honing stick made from a Brass or Steel shell case fitted to a Rod, and coated with Valve-grinding Paste.

The added Plus is the calibre( of a .303) is correct for the 7,62x25 cartridge. (The Russians used Mosin M91/30 Barrels cut in two, when push came to shove; otherwise they just made a Long Barrel and then cut it in two.)
Since the Both types of Soviet Burp Guns are Blowback and " fire before battery" types, the chamber can be quite liberal....Just get the breechblock to Shoulder dimensions correct.
(Less is More)

AS to the Trunnion Blocks of both types, they are simply Blocks of Mild steel with the Approprate cross holes for Retaining Pins (PPS) or Hinge Pins(PPSh) and of course the barrel hole and Locating cut. They could simply be made By "Filing Up" if one does not have a Milling Machine, Mill-drill, or Lathe Milling Vice available.

WE are in the process of "Making" solid wood replicas (for Stage Work) of Two PPSh, so we have dismantled and studied the entire PPSh Engineering ( a 1945 Soviet model, from Korea (1950s) almost Brand New.)...as Simple as Aussie's Owen Gun, and have also restored to Blank Firing a PPS43 of Chinese Manufacture.

Some time ago, somebody Posted extensive Photos of the "Developed" plan details and Photos of PPSh Upper receiver steel "in the Flat" as Stamped out...does anyone remember them, and re-posted them Please? Our take on our own PPSh makes it look like an easy project to "Make" our own Movie guns, either reverse Engineering an Existing Example, or Getting some "Plan" images, to laser cut the Flat Pieces, then Fold up around a mandrel and TIG Weld. ( a Lot easier than the Flame Welding used in WW II, and there is a lot of Resistance Spot Welding as well).

Any help here appreciated.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane
Australia.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone ever heard of a PPS43 with a straight box magazine? It came with the gun and snaps right into the slot long as the bolt is closed. If bolt is open the mag can be pushed up too far and block the bolt from functioning. Measures 9.5"long. Not having any 7.62X25 ammo don't know if it fits or how many rounds it holds. Looking for some though. Any I should pass on? Army pension doesn't allow for spending on duds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone ever heard of a PPS43 with a straight box magazine? It came with the gun and snaps right into the slot long as the bolt is closed. If bolt is open the mag can be pushed up too far and block the bolt from functioning. Measures 9.5"long. Not having any 7.62X25 ammo don't know if it fits or how many rounds it holds. Looking for some though. Any I should pass on? Army pension doesn't allow for spending on duds.
Nope, all the PPS-43 mags where a curved box. There where a few copies tho, done in other countries in 9mm that took a straight box mag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PPS-44 build on weapons guild

I build Receiver flats, trunnion plates and trunnions. You can contact me here of on weapons guild. I have built a few of these and the KP44 cousins. You can see my build tutorial of the KP44 on weapons guild.

If your interested, pm me here or on W/G.

Looking to build one - how do I view the build you did on Weapons Guild and what / where is Weapons guild?
Don in Colorado

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey wes. a company in tucson az has a barrel of barrels. its called omega weapons systems.
http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/
make sure to call as he is not very computer savvy. i believe his name is don. i just built one and here is the link to the build if you are interested.
iB::Topic::Pps-43 build coming soon!
i followed a tutorial here
http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php?topic=76.0
this is a place of a great wealth of knowledge.
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=399
you have to join here also. if you join any of them, let them know i sent you. it makes me look good...lol.
you have to join both but you can for free. i suggest reading as much about others builds as you can before you start.
mgs is where i got my trunnion and bracket.
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=323
it is listed as 69.95. i got mine for 39.00 iirc, just months ago. if you are able to machine your own, i have measurements. is this your first build? if so and you need to know the legality s, i can send you to another site for info. are you building pistol or carbine? you may be able to google "pps43 trunnion" and find a cheaper price, but probably not. what kit do you have? do you have a flat. or is it bent. who made receiver repair part? some trunnions will not fit w/ some receivers. i have drawings for complete receiver if needed. you can e-mail me at email removed due to inconsiderate people who barrage me w/ requests for drawings and neither acknowledge receipt of said drawings or even offer a thank you or a "those drawing were fucking worthless" hope this has been of some help, rick

LOOK IT UP YOURSELF!
Quick question for a pps-43 barrel replacement u just need a hammer and punch?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts