Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a PPK a while back and was wanting to know a little more about it. It has a great bore and the slide had some pitting and discoloration I figured for the price it would make a good shooter. Any info (date, etc) would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know how I can find the date?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Hopefully you can find your answer. I haven't seen good information on PPK production dates relating to your serial number. From the eagle over "N'" slide marking, yours within a short period in 1940 between earlier crown over "N" and Swastika eagle markings.* PPK production began in 1931. However I do wonder how this comports with Wehrmacht serials beginning at about 270,000 in 1940.
The present Walther firm presumably still has a standing statement that all prewar production records were destroyed in wartime and no information on earlier production is available. I recall somehow dating my prewar PP, perhaps by the SN or by the 90 degree safety (see pix below) to about 1930-31 production. Perhaps a PPK expert could do the same for you even if within a range based on any other visible small markings or production change hints. In that context if you don't get the answer here, perhaps with sufficient detailed photos, someone over at the Walther Forum could assist. IF you do get the serial information elsewhere, please do return to share the information with us here!
Good luck!

Walther forum: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
beautiful PPK you got there! The K serial number surffic and Eagle over N indicates its a war-time production pistol, dated probably around 1941 and for $600 you made it out like a champ. I love these elegant Walther PP/PPK pistols, now you'll just need a prewar Walther PP !

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info!!! Will let you know if I find out any more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I don't see a serial number?? but the Eagle N was first used in 1940 and is a standard Proof marking, the first non 'RZM' use of the K suffix on PPK's was in 1938 (172000K)and last used in1944 ( 430100K ) . If there are no Military acceptance or police marks then it is a commercial PPK, with a serial number I might be able to date it to a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts