Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many of you, am busy Obama-proofing myself. I recently purchased a Ruger SR9 to keep my old Browning Hi-Power company. I haven't loaded 9mm for perhaps 30 years. Unique was my powder of choice at the time for factory level loads; Herco was my choice for "+P" type loads.

Considering that I will be loading primarily 115 - 124 grain bullets (cast and jacketed) bullets at normal velocities - and that I have a fair amount of Unique in stock (and use it in other calibers) ...... should I buy a bit more Unique or stock up on another powder??? That is the question.

Hodgdon thinks their HS6 is tops for 9mm and both AA#5 and AA#7 are good for 9mm. I have all the mentioned powders in stock (and others), but not in great quantity. The only advantage to the ball powders (that I can see) is that they do meter better than the "flake" types. Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,949 Posts
I myself am gathering "things" because of the Obama thing. If I had a number of different powders in stock that worked for the Wonder Nine I would choose whatever worked best, and whatever also worked for any different caliber I may also load, and then resupply with it. Shoot up all the rest for practice in the meantime. I have had good results in the 45 with A#5 and #7 though I load most with A#5.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been using Hodgdon Universal with plated bullets for all of the pistol ammo I reload. I currently reload .380, 9mm, 9mm Largo, .40, and .45 with Universal and either Rainier's or Berry's plated bullets and use the starting charge for FMJ in all calibers. Most people I talk to like to use either Unique or Universal for multiple pistol calibers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might want to try Power Pistol and Tite Group. I have been using Power Pistol. I really like it. I have loaded at least 2000 rounds with it. I have used Remington, Hornady and Zero 115 grain FMJ bullets. It works great with all of these bullets. I also, use Power Pistol with the Hornady 115 grain XTP bullets. Really accurate. gearyr.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies so far. So many powders work well in the 9mm it's like being in a candy store. 75% of my pistol caliber loading has been for the .45 ACP using mostly Bullseye for my target loads. Unique has always handled the hotter loads - including some of my less frequently loaded calibers. It's more of a logistics problem than finding a "good" powder. When I started hand loading (a long time ago) Bullseye and Unique were the "standards." I do use several of the Accurate Powders (AA# 2, 5, and 7) in some specific cartridges with excellent results. I have considered trying Titegroup - but I don't have time to work up new loads in this "panic" season. If we can still buy components after the Obama bans, then I may give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.