Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted an opinion on this before I do some horse trading to secure the rifle. It is nearly matching with the exception of the barrel bands (which do match each other and have a Weimar Eagle 211 like rest of rifle), nose cap, and buttplate. The nosecap has a "20" on the right side. The last two digits of the buttplate is "20", so I have some suspicion that these two parts may be from the same rifle. I couldn't take the gun apart, so I wasn't able to tell if the stock is original which I have some doubts based on the metal furniture and repair to the toe of the stock. The bore is in VG-EXC condition, I would give it a 9/10. The asking price for this $1500.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looking a this rifle you can see the bold / un worn bluing which shows a re blue ...also the reciever looks polished rather heavily prior to being blued..Is it import marked on/near muzzle..? These early 98's were a more polished rifle though..IMO 1500 is steep ..$$$

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,029 Posts
Bolt root finish is off.
Any depot markings?
An early stock such as this would have a full s/n & suffix on the keel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking a this rifle you can see the bold / un worn bluing which shows a re blue ...also the reciever looks polished rather heavily prior to being blued..Is it import marked on/near muzzle..? These early 98's were a more polished rifle though..IMO 1500 is steep ..$$$
I had some slight suspicion about a refinished blue. I didn't see an import mark anywhere. I'm new to K98s. I have the debilitating condition of matching numbers when it comes to milsurps, but I seem to have noticed that when it comes to K98s they seem to be absurdly expensive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bolt root finish is off.
Any depot markings?
An early stock such as this would have a full s/n & suffix on the keel.
I couldn't find anything. Those were the only markings I could find on the stock, and they were barely legible. For future reference, I assume these depot markings indicate some kind of rework?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,029 Posts
Yes, at least rework. Hoping that Farb will tune-in for this topic.
Stock s/n will be stamped on the keel (bottom) & in the barrel channel. At least 1 WaA should be on underside of wrist area.
I see a sharp "script S" mark upon the mag follower, & detect 3 eras of WaA upon the rear sight assy.
Elsewhere: "H S-92" & "H K-167", Weimar 280? on the bolt release (which has been re-numbered: the "64" s/n has overstamped a prior #, which may be "85"), E/211 on the bands, etc.

An interesting rig, but without further inspection, would not want to own it for that kind of coin.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, at least rework. Hoping that Farb will tune-in for this topic.
Stock s/n will be stamped on the keel (bottom) & in the barrel channel. At least 1 WaA should be on underside of wrist area.
I see a sharp "script S" mark upon the mag follower, & detect 3 eras of WaA upon the rear sight assy.
Elsewhere: "H S-92" & "H K-167", Weimar 280? on the bolt release (which has been re-numbered: the "64" s/n has overstamped a prior #, which may be "85"), E/211 on the bands, etc.

An interesting rig, but without further inspection, would not want to own it for that kind of coin.
I saw the thing in person, and I didn't even catch some of this. The amount of info I learn from this forum never ceases to amaze me. I paid about $1200 for an early Type 99 with all the bells and whistles. Something tells me I'll have to pay a good amount more for the equivalent in regards to an early K98.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,029 Posts
Yep, we collectors do have some issues.
But, must admit that I've never imagined to see the day when T-99s fetch 4 figures. Guess I'd better get to work.

I've no personal interest here in owning it, but is this S/243 located somewhere in So. Kal?
If so, I'd like to push my luck & con the shopkeeper into a quick strip-search on it. I'll fire-off a PM soon.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I think I would agree that $1500 is steep for a refinished rifle with a mismatched stock. The stock and handguard would be numbered internally in the barrel channel. It should also be numbered externally on the bottom edge of the buttstock. Best bet is that the stock is matching the buttplate number and last two digits on bayonet lug, which I think is what you refer to as the nosecap. It's pretty far from original condition at this point, but it's your money and you need to decide how much you want it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I would agree that $1500 is steep for a refinished rifle with a mismatched stock. The stock and handguard would be numbered internally in the barrel channel. It should also be numbered externally on the bottom edge of the buttstock. Best bet is that the stock is matching the buttplate number and last two digits on bayonet lug, which I think is what you refer to as the nosecap. It's pretty far from original condition at this point, but it's your money and you need to decide how much you want it.
I'll probably not buy it. I'll hold out for an all matching if I can find something between $1500-$2000. Being a young milsurp collector coming late into the game makes your head spin at times when you compare it to yesteryear, but it is what it is. I'm on the hunt for a WWI M98 which I imagine is even harder to find in an all matching configuration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts