Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of the more interesting, rare and under appreciated stamps in Finn collecting, in my opinion. The PL stamp gets lots of attention for instance but is far more common. This is another stamp you can place in only a specific and short period of time.

It has been my understanding and observation that the AV1/Gearwheel stamp was only originally used on early serialed 1926 Tikka M91s. Some appear to be later recycled into other guns. Do you have one? Post it here, please or at least tell us what you have.

Edit: CH has informed me in the early days, it was known ATV1 - you can see the T - before becoming AV1 later.

From my collection: M91

1941 Tikka M39 - receiver was a 1926 Tikka if I am correct in my assumption, then recycled to a 1941 Tikka, then turned into an M39.

Just sold last week on Gunbroker: M91

From Vic's article on MN.net:

·
Registered
98 Posts
1942 "b" barrel m39
1905 Tula receiver.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,112 Posts
The # 468 rifle with the 1926 in front of the T is an unusual location for the date stamp. I don't remember of seeing others likeit! Maybe another one will show up in this thread.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The # 468 rifle with the 1926 in front of the T is an unusual location for the date stamp. I don't remember of seeing others likeit! Maybe another one will show up in this thread.
Interesting, Al - does 468 also have the date UNDER the barrel? Looks to be added later. Seems that most no-dates are under 600 - with a few going into the 1000 range.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,112 Posts
Interesting, Al - does 468 also have the date UNDER the barrel? Looks to be added later. Seems that most no-dates are under 600 - with a few going into the 1000 range.
I buried it again after I took the picture today. But from memory - there is no date on the under side. Kevin Carney sent the 468 to me a number of years back and had told me that picking through many M91s back when these were imported that this was the only one he seen with the date in front of the T .

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
What does the T mean?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,112 Posts
I was 99.9% sure there was no date on the underside of the barrel shank but I dug it back out and took some additional pictures. There is no sign that there had ever been a date on the under side. I guess it could have been a transitional practice! The rifle is built on a 1899 dated Tula receiver.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The "T" in ATV?

ATV = Ase ja ampumaTarvike Varikko = Weapons and Ammunition Depot.
AV = AseVarikko = Weapons Depot.

The change from ATV to AV seems to have been simply to get a shorter and more practical term for the same establishments.

Jarkko
Thanks as always, Jarkko. Is there a known date for this transition? And any specific information on use of this stamp in army records? Again, my theory is that it was only originally used on early 1926 Tikka M91s.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was 99.9% sure there was no date on the underside of the barrel shank but I dug it back out and took some additional pictures. There is no sign that there had ever been a date on the under side. I guess it could have been a transitional practice! The rifle is built on a 1899 dated Tula receiver.
That makes sense, Al. This is towards the end of the range.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.