Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite things about collecting Mosins, (particularly Finns), is the stock repairs. Some guy in an arsenal would spend most of a day,
patching a damaged stock with carefully cut to fit wood. What is your favorite such repair?

I'll start with one I came across today, taking the buttplate off of 1939 Finned 91/30. Apparently, one of the holes for the buttplate screws had worn out,
and someone carefully cut a square replacement plug for a new hole.

Not the most unusual, but the first time I've seen that.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
JB Weld on an antique M27. Undisclosed in the sale. Blew out (and I mean shattered) on the first shot I took with it. It's my favorite because I repaired it when it blew out. Seller here had some really imaginative photos taken at perfect angles. I guess he figured the eventual buyer wouldn't be a shooter. Oh well. It is fixed now.

Somehow I guess you were looking for a Finn repair. I just couldn't resist getting a chance to show this off though. It was my first m27, so it was just a little disappointing. Edited to add this: the first picture is the original. it consisted of about an ounce or two of shaped JB Weld, and no wood. Second photo is after the repair. it is wood and I intentionally left a seam showing so it wouldn't be passed off as original down the line.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
One of my favorite things about collecting Mosins, (particularly Finns), is the stock repairs. Some guy in an arsenal would spend most of a day,
patching a damaged stock with carefully cut to fit wood. What is your favorite such repair?

I'll start with one I came across today, taking the buttplate off of 1939 Finned 91/30. Apparently, one of the holes for the buttplate screws had worn out,
and someone carefully cut a square replacement plug for a new hole.

View attachment 772146

Not the most unusual, but the first time I've seen that.
The repairs are interesting, but a skilled carpenter, with the proper tools and jigs, would be able to crank out a pile of stock repairs in a day.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Here are a couple of mine.

'44 M38

These are rough repairs. Not the usual craftsmanship you see.

Ex Dragoon.

And the other side.

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Had 2 of these but just sold one of them, love those Russian spliced stocks, a real work of art

1 - 20 of 26 Posts