Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a No.4 with post war German police markings...It was too late for pics, I'll try to get some up tomorrow..Anyway, after a couple of hours on the internet, basically nothing came up...I am familiar with the Austrian marked Enfields but those are No.1's as far as I know...How uncommon are the No.4's with post war European service (German police marked)? Thanks ahead for the help, Mike

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
In the very early days (about 1957) of the West German Bundeswehr rifles No. 4 Mk. I* were also part of the initial equipment, but only for a short period. Soldiers' slang designation for them was "Canadian Rifle". They were regarded as inferior to the K98 by the soldiers and not very well liked. Not unlikely that they also served with German Police units.
Source: German book "Im Dienste Ihrer Majestät" ("In His/Her Majesty's Service") by Bernd Rolff.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added some pics..It appears to be a Maltby marked Mk.I* but has the bolt release button.. Stock is also marked FR and I've read that is supposed to be an Indian connection, but with this one not likely....The Mark II sight is damaged and will need replaced..Comments welcome..Thanks for looking, Mike

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Nice. Not commonly seen in these parts. FR in this case is not Indian, although it's still a bit up in the air what it means. There was a run of '44 Maltbys that were incorrectly marked as Mk1*...roughly 10000 or so as I recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.