Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the figureing and tiger stripeing on the post war finnish stocks not stand out like it does on the wartime stocks? What are they doing to the stocks that brings this caracter out. I have a M27 and a M91 that both have the flat (the coloring of the stock not the shape) looking post war stocks. Not that I want to mess with the stocks on them but some of the M39 sakos I see for sale have what appears to be Realy nice character. Just it doesnt stand out as much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Try a little BLO, Tung oil (Behr) or Fin mix.
I have a M-39 in a postwar stock that came to life
with a couple coats of tung oil.
I wish I could get pics to load , I'd show you a nice one.

Sgt LaBelle

"March or Die"

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
I think part of this is due to the fact they are sanded rather well. This sort of took the "life" out of them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it decrease the value of them to try and bring out the figureing, or make them any less desirable?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine looks like it was chewed on by a bunch of rodents...someone used it very, very hard. It is post-war, I verified this by looking at the splices...but it is nearly as chewed up as one that saw a lot of action. The repairs in the handguard and tang area are quite strong, but very visible.

I rubbed in 5 coats of the Finn Mix, and this kind of brought it to life, but the gouges are still there. Without the wear the "tiger stripes" would probably stand out more.

I'm still trying to decide if the Finn Mix is enough, or if Tung oil is called for...I don't want to erase what history the rifle has, but I also want to preserve the wood. Maybe if I had the space or time I would look up that pine tar mix recipe and it's instructions.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Actually, there are post-war stocks that have considerable figure. I have two. I think Tuco is right. Some of the post-war stocks were sanded pretty heavily.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I have read that the stock blanks of war time stocks were soaked in BLO/LO for a long time before being turned into a stock and were well saturated, thus the more intense contrast on figuring, be it grain, flame or tiger, as the wood presented.

The application of pine tar on war time stocks also has an effect on the look and preservation of the wood and its features.

The post-war stocks did not have this soaking and are thus more "dry" in appearance.

Member "Dean Dallas" exhibited some wonderful examples of the use of pine tar to make stocks look very nice, but have not seen him here since the new software was installed.

Below are pics of post and war time stocks. As you can seen, even a "dry" post war stock (1st and 3rd pics) can have very nice presentation.

Pics 2 and 4 are 1941 PL marked and show what I would call the deep dunk of the BLO before being turned and use of pine tar afterwards as a rub to keep the wood "good".

A group of 'dry" post war stocks, as they came from Finland arsenal...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts