Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a rather aggravating morning. I have been to two different post offices and the refuse to ship a c&r eligible firearm for me. They state they no longer accept a copy of the ffl, they must have an original. They also will only do ffl dealer to ffl dealer. I told them there is no way on God's green earth that an ffl holder is giving them an original of the license either. This would potentially make having a c&r license a lot less handy. Anybody else have any problem in the past few days? I think this just snuck out last week.

Reactions: barnetmill

·
Registered
493 Posts
Considering it is the USPS, that is very surprising, as they tend to be more familiar with handling these kinds of items and the differences between prohibited and restricted items. I live in a predominantly anti-2A area, however my local P.O. shipped a rifle for me without even blinking an eye.

I had an employee at the UPS hub almost refuse to ship a C&R firearm to another C&R license holder. She had red flags go off when I mentioned that it is going to a residential address. She thought that firearms could only be shipped to "brick and mortar" gun stores. Luckily the manager stepped in and confirmed that everything I am doing is legal.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have had a rather aggravating morning. I have been to two different post offices and the refuse to ship a c&r eligible firearm for me. They state they no longer accept a copy of the ffl, they must have an original. They also will only do ffl dealer to ffl dealer. I told them there is no way on God's green earth that an ffl holder is giving them an original of the license either. This would potentially make having a c&r license a lot less handy. Anybody else have any problem in the past few days? I think this just snuck out last week.
I had this happen to me once when the Postal worker told me they would not ship a rifle back to the manufacturer. I produced a copy of their rules that state an FFL is not required to ship a rifle via USPS, then busted out a copy of my FFL and still no luck. I then demanded to speak to their Post Master. The worker took my papers, trotted off to the back, came back a few minutes later, and suddenly things changed. I was correct. I suspect they already knew that and were just trying to push their own agenda.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What I usually do is purchase and print the shipping label at home, when I bring the package to the post office they just scan it right in and tell me to have a nice day. Doing it this way seems to reduce the amount of thinking on the postal workers part. Also if the recipient address happens to have "Gun Shop" or "Firearms" in the name I will omit that bit.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,714 Posts
USPS don’t ask, don’t tell policy. They ask if it’s liquid or has batteries….Nope sure doesn’t.
^^^This., I try to use an anonymous looking shipping box. Some old flooring boxes I had that I cut down but still had flooring graphics. Just to deflect from the appearance of a rifle/firearm in a box.
Also have marked "Walnut hardwood shanks" or something on the plain box just to negate the appearance of a firearm box., when in transit. Reduce the possibility of an in transit theft etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's purely your PO that's being a problem, I've shipped several rifles with USPS this last few weeks no problem, and I have several family members that worked for USPS for over 40 years.

Rifles are perfectly okay to ship USPS, just not handguns. You don't need any documentation and you don't even need to tell them what it is. If they ask if it's hazardous material, it is not by their definition so say no.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I live in FL, to ship a firearm I need a copy of my C&R & a copy of your FFL or C&R, But I have to fill out a USPS form that is a hand filled out copy of the same info. on the C&R or FFL So they can read it. SO 2 copies & a USPS form. They staple them together a put it in a drawer. And done

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I live in FL, to ship a firearm I need a copy of my C&R & a copy of your FFL or C&R, But I have to fill out a USPS form that is a hand filled out copy of the same info. on the C&R or FFL So they can read it. SO 2 copies & a USPS form. They staple them together a put it in a drawer. And done
Sounds like a pain, and possibly a security concern for your residence. Your FFL is just floating around in a drawer at the PO? For any employee to see or to get thrown away in a public trashcan etc...
Yeah NO THANKS, Never doing that.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Unless you are an FFL and shipping a handgun to another FFL, you need not fill out any forms, nor provide copies of FFL's. Again, just a local PO overstepping their authority. All their rules are online read them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you use a cell phone big brother is sill watching you, if they can others can also. We all are very untrusting @ this time in the world , no trust in each other. If you bought from me you would not know anyway. Chris

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,831 Posts
Unless you are an FFL and shipping a handgun to another FFL, you need not fill out any forms, nor provide copies of FFL's. Again, just a local PO overstepping their authority. All their rules are online read them.
if you ever have to file a claim, the insurance form on the USPS website will ask for a copy of the 1508 (handgun form) regardless of the type firearm

I just drop off, as in I print the postage and apply it myself,
I did have a clerk want to inspect a package, and I told her fine,
she was welcome to open it up and take a look to be sure it was safe etc etc,
then I told her that once she took the package from me it was now in the hands of the USPS and that they, as in She, was now responsible for it,
and reminded her of the value (around $2K IIRC) and that if needed, due to her mishandling, I would be filing a claim,

she suddenly declined to inspect and shipped it for me

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have an FFL and have shipped through the post office many times without problems. I try to follow the laws well and I always use form 1508 which simply states that I am a dealer and am shipping somewhere legit. I don't have to leave a copy of my FFL or state what is in the package. The postal worker takes the form, stamps and signs it ands ships my rifle or pistol. Use Form 1508 and simplify
Font Parallel Rectangle Number Slope

the deal!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Near or around Christmas rush is the worst time to ship anything you do not want crushed, lost, bent, or broken. Too many damaged packages and in the city too many ripped off. Even if a $100 book you best have tracking , insurance, and signature delivery. I will not go into the details of lost books, cracked stain glass windows, pet supplies in cans crushed??? two cracked rifle stocks in a U shaped boxes, curtain rods bent into V's, and boxes of bayonets missing the bayonet that poked its way out. Then $200 BAE archaeological reports from 1898 that never showed up. Think about it . I would ship things later say mid January. :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have an FFL and have shipped through the post office many times without problems. I try to follow the laws well and I always use form 1508 which simply states that I am a dealer and am shipping somewhere legit. I don't have to leave a copy of my FFL or state what is in the package. The postal worker takes the form, stamps and signs it ands ships my rifle or pistol. Use Form 1508 and simplify View attachment 3902097
the deal!
This is the form I have to use also ! Chris

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,714 Posts
Proper packaging insures most items arrive without damage.

I have shipped over 1,000 packages containg everything from firearms to glass and artwork.
Never had a damaged or lost item.

Luck., maybe.,? but like to think good sturdy and well supported packaging.., large, clear, type written shipping labels.

Maybe the neighborhood where one resides is a theft risk issue?
Dunno?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If you're having difficulty at a particular post office, use a different one if you can; there are several different post offices in my general area, all of them within easy driving distance. My experience is that small community post offices are much easier to deal with than the larger ones. This is also true when it comes to mailing packages of any kind, esp. during the holidays.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts