Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have photos of some of the M56 helmets used by other countries that I could post for reference, if I can ever figure how to upload on this new software [directions appreciated]. This would make for a good sticky, if that's possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see you are not familiar with vbulletin. Scroll down when you create a topic or reply. There should be a section that says
Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
Manage Attachments

Click Manage Attachments button. There should be a popup (if not, disable blocker). And follow instructions given from theron.

·
Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,192 Posts
Post the pics-- the sticky will be no prob.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Helmet dates

Speaking of helmets, I recently found out how the M56 stahlhelm is dated. On the inside, at the wearer's left aproximately above where the ear would be is a column of three sets of numbers. The two examples I've looked at so far follow this pattern: The first, or top number is a Roman Numeral (in my case, both are II). The second, or middle number is a single digit (2 and 4 on my examples). Not sure yet, but following the usual date codes found on other equipment or uniforms, either is the quarter of the year of production, but what of the other number? Production line? Shift indicator?
The third, or bottom number is a double digit, which I suggest indicates the year of manufacture (88 and 84 on mine).
Here's what they looke like:

II II
2 4
84 88

Trying to get a decent photo of these, may have to fill in the numbers with crayon or grease pencil to help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
the roman numeral refers to size, not date. shells were manufactured in three sizes (I, II, III). the vast majority of helmets you are likely to come across have a size II shell... the others do exist but are a lot scarcer.

not sure about the other digits... to make them show up on a photo, try changing the pic to a negative in photo editor or equivalent - recessed markings are usually a lot clearer like that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
the roman numeral refers to size, not date. shells were manufactured in three sizes (I, II, III).
Thanks, makes perfect sense! Rather like the size marks in the late field cap.

I'll try out the negative flip on the images if they come out like the previous ones I took.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts