Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of these showed up at my local gun shop. bolt matching. Nice insanded wood, bright bore, 80-90% arsenal blue. Sharp receiver ring markings. Don't see these much anymore, I like Mausers and the 30-06 chambering is surely more attractive than the original 7.65, as I laready have plenty of Garand and M1917 ammo.

What is current market on these? Web search was all over the place on pricing.

Thanks for your help.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
One of these showed up at my local gun shop. bolt matching. Nice insanded wood, bright bore, 80-90% arsenal blue. Sharp receiver ring markings. Don't see these much anymore, I like Mausers and the 30-06 chambering is surely more attractive than the original 7.65, as I laready have plenty of Garand and M1917 ammo.

What is current market on these? Web search was all over the place on pricing.

Thanks for your help.

Mine is in .30-06 also; most seem to have been changed to that caliber. I paid $400 + $30 shipping from Gunbroker, but that was back in April 2010.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Remember that these Peruvian Mausers were originally made in 7,65mm calibre ( Bore .303" Grooves .312-314")
They were simply Rechambered to take a .30 cal 1906 cartridge;
Barrel specs remained the same.
But a .308" Bullet in .313"(average) Grooves may cause some loss of accuracy, but if open Base FMJ bullets are used, the open base "upsets"into the deeper grooves to give a good seal. The trouble starts when one uses solid base sporting bullets ( soft P or HP)especially Boat Tail...these do Not Upset to Obturate the Grooves!! And inaccuracy results.
CAST lead and Gascheck , bullets, casting diameter .312-.314" will suit admirably.
" .303 " type bullets or.314" Argy types ( look at the various Mould suppliers, Commercial and Custom.)
Other solution is to use Pulled Military Bullets .303 British, 7,62 Russian ( not Boattail!). The L type 154 grain, although .309" to .310", has a hollow base, ( 45°cone) which allows for Base
Upset Obturation...and good accuracy.
Good luck on your Peruvian...
Is it a 1909 "Mauser Original" or an FN 1932 Short Rifle converted to .30 cal???

Photo please
Doc AV
Brisbane Australia.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I just took possession of one very recently. I paid over the $400 mentioned above of 10 years prior. Only the purchaser can put a price on a rifle. We all here are of the “just one more” mold I would guess?

I bought mine particularly because it was painted by FN during the conversion and I like their black paint on FN-49’s. The FN Mauser Book offers the paint to be more rare than blued. That added a little more value too.

OP, I too will add that you are able to pick up the rifle in person. Somewhat of a lost trait in today’s gun shopping arena. That should really allow you to set the price both in a bartering atmosphere perhaps and “do I really want this rifle?”

Is it missing the cleaning rod? I mention in another post mine is. Someone says 14.5” is the ticket, but the diameter is different than a German Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,306 Posts
Usually, the conversions to .30-06 (or Chilean conversions to .308 NATO, for another example) bring less on the collectors' market than those in the original chambering. But if .30-06 is your preference, all the better! The Model 1935s in good shape and not messed with (sanded) are somewhat challenging to find.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The 1935s weren't rechambered, but they got new FN-made barrels (early '50s when US military surplus arrived) along with some other modifications to oad using stripper clips and proper markings to avoid confusion. No clear data yet about how many were converted but old timers usually mentioned "about a 1/3 of them" (That would be around 10,000 rifles). Others stayed in 7.65 and others will eventually be also modified in the same manner to fire 7.62 NATO ammo (Early '60s when the FALs were bought).

Apparently a small batch of 1909s were converted too and got new FN barrels and some other mods. but pretty much stayed in the original military configration (friend of mine has the only one I've seen so far over here). Others might have been rechambered by local armorers or their later owners in the US.
In my experience when such job is done the best is to search for the least used, tightest bore rifle available and use heavy (Heavier than 158 gr.) bullets. If correctly done they usually prove to be quite accurate at any reasonable range.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Banned
12,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ended up not getting the Mauser, owner would not budge on price and 600 was too much. So I picked up the Z block 1903A4 instead.

Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.