Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I can't recall seeing a smooth wartime cocking piece on a No5 before. Has anyone else?

$300.....$300....

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
smooth cocking pieces were a war time expedient. They were obsoleted and replaced. That one escaped.
I understand that very well. The fact remains I have/had yet to see one on a No5.
Many of those cocking pieces escaped and have surfaced coming out of the Cosmoline. All on No4 rifles and most from the 1943 production period.

Had it been common to use a substitute expedient on a late war/postwar rifle then it would be more common to see them now. As it is on the No4.

So the question remains. Who has seen one before on a No5 rifle?

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
I think we need more info on this rifle.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Explain please. I know nothink.
There was a sight being sold aftermarket which used a larger diameter axis pin and that required drilling the hole larger to fit.

Also:
Some ham fisted kitchen table "gunsmiths" (aka Bubba) sometimes tried drilling the rifle instead of fitting the accessory to it when a scope mount was being stubborn.
Defeated the whole concept of a No Gunsmithing mount, but some Bubbas have an extra tooth instead of a brain cell. Ruining a $500 rifle to fit a $30 Chinese mount somehow made sense to them.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
There was a sight being sold aftermarket which used a larger diameter axis pin and that required drilling the hole larger to fit.

This one - (and once done there was no going back. The rifle is only original once).

No4 Target Sight.jpg

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I got it. Plus few other rifles for 1200 ducats. A WWI milsurp rifle in nice shape, a newer fancy Win 1895 , some kinda old milsurp Japanese rifle, an old winchester .22 bolt gun, and a pretty old crappy 10/22 that could have been mine 50 years ago. Plus lots of .303, '06 with clips , many .22 . The old guy just wanted to unload it. May take a few days or weeks to take proper pics.

I have no idea where I should post them all. I prolly will want to sell a couple because I don't have room in my safe. And I have no idea as to how go about selling online or on this website. It may be just local.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Well I got it. Plus few other rifles for 1200 ducats. A WWI milsurp rifle in nice shape, a newer fancy Win 1895 , some kinda old milsurp Japanese rifle, an old winchester .22 bolt gun, and a pretty old crappy 10/22 that could have been mine 50 years ago. Plus lots of .303, '06 with clips , many .22 . The old guy just wanted to unload it. May take a few days or weeks to take proper pics.

I have no idea where I should post them all. I prolly will want to sell a couple because I don't have room in my safe. And I have no idea as to how go about selling online or on this website. It may be just local.
You stole a collection! If the "crappy old 10/22" is indeed over 50 years old (as in you didn't say it merely as an expression) that too might be something worth holding on to. Pre-plastic era...oh yeah.

Would like to see some of them. Whatever that ww1 milsurp is along with the 1895 Winchester. Even the reintroductions are nice ones.

Oh, congrats on the No5! The Nip rifle might also have interest to collectors. There are a few 'crossover collectors' here on this board who might want to see that.
Get your camera ready and expect to be doing a lot of posting.

added:
Even if you used actual ducats you probably did OK. :cool:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Oh yeah that rifle he said was WWI is a 03-A3. The .22 turns out to be a Winchester model 67, no serial number. Then the Japanese gun hardly has any markings and the barrel was cut off he says.

Gee, I might like the 03-A3 the best.

I'll try and get better pics of the No 5 tomorrow. It was a little dark in his garage, I just said take my money, loaded up and left.
03-A3 FULL PHOTO.jpg
03-A3 STAMP.jpg
03-A3.jpg
winchester model 67.jpg
Japanese rifle.jpg
View attachment 3804749
win 1895 new model.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
The Arisaka looks to be the only skunk in the kennel, but it still has value in some of its parts.
The 67 lineage is all pre-68 hence the lack of serial number. Good shape? Is it a 67A or Y? What is the chambering? Some were cut to use 22WRF. (Not 22 WRM!)
The 03-A3 is WW2 and shows use but still in good shape. Common for those rifles to have a mixed finish on the metal parts. Bore condition?
The 95 looks as though it was used instead of kept to maintain value. Not bad. What chambering?
The No5 we all saw.
For the price paid for all, yesteryears prices. Unless you plan on collecting Nip rifles, all else are all keepers.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If it is an older Bushnell scope, that can be sold to cover the cost of the rear sight. I am not sure, but; it looks like some sort of no drill rear scope mount. Probably no harm done. My guess is the asking price is about 1/2 fair value or better. At $200 it gets silly to even be posting here.

edit:
I was a little slow posing. I am referring to the No5.

I see a lot of other nice looking guns and all worth considering if priced like the Enfield. As mentioned, I would pass on the Arisaka, unless for parts or a restore restock project.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts