Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i found a matching (possibly even the cleaning rod, more on that below) 1916 kornbusch the other day while traveling on business. the place that had it removed the stock, all numbers match.

only bads are the stacking swivel hook is broken off the front band, nothing much left but a nub, and the stock appears the be sanded a bit. stamps still have depth, but i can see the vertical scratches from sanding in the wood, and the stamps arent near as distinct as my unmolested amberg.

question on cleaning rod numbers.. do you read them with the rod cleaning tip up or down? there is some wear on the rod at the numbers so we couldnt tell for sure if it matched. if the rod threads are up when the numbers are upright it matches, otherwise i believe it is wrong

great bore, nice unrestored metal. they wont budge off $700.

decent price?

im a bit leary only because i know sanding the stock detracts from the value - and i generally dont want to pay market value.

sry no pix, by the time we took it apart and haggled a bit i had to get back to work.

advice?

thx as always!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Kornbusch is never a common maker to find, however $700 for a sanded stock is too much. Its impossible to say anything definitive without pictures, but from your descrption it sounds like that gun will stay on the shelf until they budge on price.

Cleaning rod numbers are rightside up when the jag end is up and threads down. I never worry about a rod matching when I buy, so long as it has one and its proofed.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
"From my observations, I would list most common as: Spandau 1st; Mauser Oberndorf 2nd (especially 1916-17); DWM & Danzig tied for 3rd; Amberg 5th; JP Sauer 6th; Waffenwerke Oberspree Kornbusch & CG Haenel tied for 7th; VC Shilling 8th; Simson 9th & scarcest.

A note on rarity by manufacturer; I believe rarity by condition or date of manufacture is more important to the value of an Imperial rifle."

Directly from www.gewehr98.com

I would consult Paul "Simsonsuhl" right here on the boards. Photographs would obvisouly be required to get a proper estimate. The cleaning rod is a bonus if it matches but not required.

You can go to his website above and email him also. I would.

·
Registered
680 Posts
thx guys, i offered 5, then 6, but they werent interested.
but, when i see stuff like this, i think maybe i outta save it from this possible fate

http://www.nationalgunforum.com/showthread.php?21669-A-German-has-a-new-home..
I'm going to be sick. That was a f*cking beautiful rifle, now it looks like sh*t. Too bad he didn't ask anyone first about it, now I wouldn't give him $50 for it.

But, to the matter at hand. $700 is too much, too bad they won't negotiate. If you go back can you get pictures of it?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
PM, I agree, - talking about cleaning $1k away with steel wool... that was a rare rifle, 1915 WOK is several times scarcer than 1916 or 1917. A real rarity and that knucklehead really hurt it imo. Of course we are assuming it was original-matching and had no issues.

Art, We (I) know much more about manufacturer-date rarity today, than when that was written. It is hard to say which is rarest firm overall (1915-1918) among the various wartime firms, the Suhl makers are darn tough, especially to find nice, but WOK is tough too.

The rarest wartime rifle imo is Simson/1915, just super hard to find in any condition, though the Suhl consortium rifles are also very tough that year. WOK is very hard in 1915, not nearly so tough 1916 or 1917 dated.

None of the arsenals are scarce, except maybe Erfurt, and even then they show up in decent shape usually.

It is my opinion that the rarest, most desirable wartime Gew.98 is one that is a Suhl maker (S&S, CGH, VCS, or Simson) that is "attractive", original-matching (not depot-interwar rework) and not too abused. For whatever reason the Suhl makers especially are hard to find nice & original. Most are dogs, heavily used and abused, or reworked. Coupled with the low production runs that makes nice Suhl rifle hard to find.

All the arsenals are rather easy to find nice, especially Spandau & Amberg, - Danzig being the king of rifle making, along with Erfurt, were also the crudest makers, Danzig is odd in that while it out produced everyone in Gew.98 production, really nice rifles aren't as common as you'd expect. Not rare or even scarce, but harder than you'd expect.

Lastly, finding a "non-Turk" or interwar 1917-1918 MO is darn tough, has to be one of the toughest to find original-matching. DWM is common except 1914 & 1918, but those two years are always hard to find.

Oh, re-the WOK, I would pass at $700 too if it is as described. It is not a terrible deal, but certainly full retail for a sanded stock. (unless you really want a WOK and money, or a bargain is secondary, as a matching WOK is rather uncommon)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Tomorrow I might be able to bid on a sportered Kornbush...rumored to be very similar to an interarms sporter but with Lange rear sight....not drilled though.
Will try to get it as I have the parts to at least restore it to military configuration and maybe a two digit matching part or two if I am lucky.

Paid $500 for my matching Kornbusch a couple of years ago...glad to get it as it is the only one that I have ever handled or had the opportunity to buy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx everyone, i figured my offer was in line, or even a bit high. next time im down that way ill grab some pix.

btw, heres a web listing i found when searchin, this is the rifle i saw. i figure if anyone here wants it they can decide if the price is right. i collect all ww1/2 guns, so for me at that price it wasnt a decent deal. however, like said above, if someone specializes in 98s, and needs a kornbusch, i think this would be worth considering. if anyone grabs it pls post lotsa pix!

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/mauser...js-all-matching-with-original-sling-good.html

cyas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.