Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
432 Posts
The metal and stock have not been refinished. Now the stock is interesting in no external Wamts or internal SN.
My best opinion is that the stock is a period replacement, possibly even replaced by the Portuguese.

All factory M937b (commonly referred to as the M1941) K98ks from Mauser will have external military acceptance stamps, with a large final
acceptance sequence on the side, and 2 smaller process stamps on the bottom, and a matching serial stamped in the barrel channel.

Very nice and interesting example.

· Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
16,154 Posts
original sling

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. Could i some how use a replica or original sling from standart K98 for the portugese, is it the same sling or diferent?
If it is yours rifle, might you can take some shots for the rear part of fixing?- belt (sling) and metal part as well (I will try to manage to produce it).
Thanks, geladen!

· Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
16,154 Posts
Thanks. Could i some how use a replica or original sling from standard K98 for the portugese, is it the same sling or diferent?
If it is yours rifle, might you can take some shots for the rear part of fixing?- belt (sling) and metal part as well (I will try to manage to produce it).
Thanks, geladen!

The rifle is mine but it is deeply buried behind a truckload (maybe a small truck) of other Mausers. Fortunately words will do and no additional photos are necessary. The sling is original. It came on the rifle from the importer, SARCO, when I bought it in June 1994 (for $100 + $8 shipping for an all matching except cleaning rod rifle).

The sling is identical to a K98k sling but shortened a bit on the end that would take a frosch. You can get an original or a repro sling, put it on your rifle, and compare it with the photos to see how long it should be. It attaches to a standard Mauser QD swivel; the swivel is exactly the same as on a G98 rifle. You can get an original QD swivel and a sling button from Springfield Sporters or other places. You will need to trim the edges of the sling a bit to fit into the QD swivel. It will be obvious when you have the sling in one hand and the swivel in the other. You will also need to cut two holes in the sling for the sling button. The end of the sling folds back to accept the sling button just like on any other sling that uses a sling button. You can attach the sling to the bottom swivel mount (like mine) or you can attach the sling on the side of the stock if you need to ride a horse.

I think that makes sense but I am open to questions if it is not clear.

Regards,
Bill

· Registered
184 Posts
OK, how about something a bit different? I'd like to report Port Crest 1941 F 5793, but only the stock assembly! It's a stock, flat buttplate with Port Cross, crossbolt, and bayo mount only! Stock channel, bayo mount and buttplate serial numbers all match. Shows e/655's throughout as well. Definitely German usage as it came off an RC. The question is, who has RC Port Crest 1941 rifle F 5793? Did the barreled receiver survive?

· Registered
1 Posts
Add to the WWII Portuguese study

I've been a lurker here for many years and have learned a lot.
Thought I'd post a special interest rifle of mine that has been discussed privately with several Forum members in the past. Portuguese 1941 all matching & unissued, mint condition with original factory grease/cosmoline still present in areas. Serial# H7931, all inspection stamps in stock/metal are deep/sharp. Mint serial# matching bayonet and sn# matching scabbard. The bolt on this rifle probably has not been racked more than a couple dozen times at best, amazing Mauser-Werke factory condition that has not been collector messed with in any way. With the exception of very minor staining on stock and butt-plate, it is hard to believe this rifle is 73 years old. No import marks on this beauty, but is loaded with Nazi inspector's waffenamps.

Wow, next time I insert pics I'll be more careful! Pics are not great, but you get the picture, enjoy RP.

Attachments

· Registered
692 Posts
I know this is a cold thread, but I figured I'd bump it with my recent acquisition of a G-block 1941 contract.

The serial is G18037.
The barrel, receiver, floorplate, follower, trigger guard, action screws, trigger, and rear sight parts all match. The stock and stock hardware do not match the action but do match themselves. The bolt is a mismatch, but the bolt body is only one number off from the stock. All German markings are clear and present. There are no import marks visible, though I suspect it is a GI bringback.

Here is an album of pictures from the seller I got it from.
1941 Portuguese Contract Album

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.