Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
16,167 Posts
I'm confused about which rifles were used in Germany and which ones went to Portugal. Supposedly all of the M937 rifles went to Portugal but I've heard both sides. Anyone care to enlighten me?
All of the M937 and all of the M937A rifles went to Portugal. If you look over this serial number database you can get an idea of the M941 rifles which were used by Germany. Any RC rifles and any used post war by Norway were used by Germany. I have not seen any, but any with Iraqi, Israeli, or post war East German markings would also have been used by Germany. If there was one with peened markings, I would say it was used by Germany and later used post war by someone who didn't like swastikas.

16,167 Posts
E19747 (M937, 1937 dated)
-------------------------------------------------------------
F 493 (PORT, Sarco import, match, flatbutt plate w/cross)
F 543 (PORT, NI)
F 636 (PORT, NI)
F 962 (GER?, NI, match, service use, Ger. type stock repair, vet bb?)
F 997 (GER, NI, match, Liege Belgian reproofed, rechambered 8x60S)
F 8690(GER, RC, Empire Arms)
F 1356 (?, NI, match, claimed vbb from North Africa, used cond.)
F 2154 (PORT, NI)
F 2342 (?, from old eGuns auction, flat buttplate)
F 6756 (PORT, import, matching, matching bay.)
F 8690 (GER, RC, Empire Arms)
F 9595 (PORT, NI)
F 13614 (GER, RC, Coles)
F 14685 (GER?, matching exc. floorplate, Belgian proofs, Belgian auction)
F 14744 (GER?, NI, matching)
F 15290 (PORT?, uniss., matching, NI, Canada)
F 15521 (PORT?, NI, matching, used, Gunbroker 081306)
F 16699 (PORT, Uniss., matching bay., RI Auction)
F 16980 (PORT?, NI, match, used)
F 17470 (PORT, NI, match, 90%, CLOSE bayo.)
F 18096 (GER, RC, Coles)
F 18970 (GER, RC, Empire Arms)
F 19457 (? , NI, match, 85%. cross on flat buttplate)
F 19555 (PORT, Austrian coll., match, 85%, w/match bayo.)

16,167 Posts
original sling

Attachments

16,167 Posts
Thanks. Could i some how use a replica or original sling from standard K98 for the portugese, is it the same sling or diferent?
If it is yours rifle, might you can take some shots for the rear part of fixing?- belt (sling) and metal part as well (I will try to manage to produce it).
Thanks, geladen!

The rifle is mine but it is deeply buried behind a truckload (maybe a small truck) of other Mausers. Fortunately words will do and no additional photos are necessary. The sling is original. It came on the rifle from the importer, SARCO, when I bought it in June 1994 (for $100 + $8 shipping for an all matching except cleaning rod rifle).

The sling is identical to a K98k sling but shortened a bit on the end that would take a frosch. You can get an original or a repro sling, put it on your rifle, and compare it with the photos to see how long it should be. It attaches to a standard Mauser QD swivel; the swivel is exactly the same as on a G98 rifle. You can get an original QD swivel and a sling button from Springfield Sporters or other places. You will need to trim the edges of the sling a bit to fit into the QD swivel. It will be obvious when you have the sling in one hand and the swivel in the other. You will also need to cut two holes in the sling for the sling button. The end of the sling folds back to accept the sling button just like on any other sling that uses a sling button. You can attach the sling to the bottom swivel mount (like mine) or you can attach the sling on the side of the stock if you need to ride a horse.

I think that makes sense but I am open to questions if it is not clear.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.