Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Diamond member
1,631 Posts
that rifles with the Port crest on the stock went to Portugal? that the Port cross popped on the buttplate meant it went to Portugal? Those are the only two I can think of Pisgah, with the first being quite the myth and the second more cerebral.
Yes. We have a winner. I have seen people make the statement more than once, that the Portuguese stamped their crest into the left of the butt on these, and that this "fact" would help one know whether the Portuguese Kar.98k they were looking at, had in fact stayed in Germany or gone to Portugal. The Germans stamped the Portuguese crest into the stocks and applied the buttplate cross.

· Diamond member
1,631 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the rifles that were actually delivered to Portugal would not have the Eagle/H on the stock?
They were marked exactly the same whether they were delivered to the Portuguese or remained in Germany. Short of legitimate capture papers or signs of later German rework it would be difficult to tell the difference between a rifle that stayed in Germany or went to Portugal. Mint rifles are usually from Portugal. Import-marked rifles are usually from Portugal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.