Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Outdated info

·
Registered
51 Posts
Portuguese 1941 K98

I have a 1941 Portuguese K98 with serial number H3326. I traded it off in 1995 at the Moncton gun show. It went to Quebec with a dealer and he traded it to another guy in Quebec that came back to the show in 1996. I gentleman bought it first thing Saturday morning when the show opened. I was kicking myself that I let it go and looked for years for another one. A local gunsmith called me looking for a part and he told me about a gentleman that had a Mauser for sale so I called him and went over to his house and there was my Portuguese 1941 K98. He told me what he wanted for the gun and it was less than I got for it on trade. The only blemish is some stains on the butt plate and some minor handling marks. I think the stains on the butt plate can be cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
1941 G12913 No import marks, matched, no Port. crest on stock, but two WaA135 and a Eagle over H. conclusive German use, I think.
937 D 17277 non import marked but imported pre 1968. matching.

NO BAYONETS. PS; Why dosen't Albayo remove that rust from the butt plate of that rifle?? UGH!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Portuguese K98 (1941)

Hi all,

1941 G441 located in Australia. All matching with Port. crest on stock. I believe this rifle sold for approx. A$1300. Ouch!!

I'm not sure if this below link works, but rifle images are still available to be viewed under the heading of Rifles Military/Collectable.

http://www.firearmsales.com.au/product/view/993

Trev.

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
that rifles with the Port crest on the stock went to Portugal? that the Port cross popped on the buttplate meant it went to Portugal? Those are the only two I can think of Pisgah, with the first being quite the myth and the second more cerebral.
Yes. We have a winner. I have seen people make the statement more than once, that the Portuguese stamped their crest into the left of the butt on these, and that this "fact" would help one know whether the Portuguese Kar.98k they were looking at, had in fact stayed in Germany or gone to Portugal. The Germans stamped the Portuguese crest into the stocks and applied the buttplate cross.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the rifles that were actually delivered to Portugal would not have the Eagle/H on the stock?

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the rifles that were actually delivered to Portugal would not have the Eagle/H on the stock?
They were marked exactly the same whether they were delivered to the Portuguese or remained in Germany. Short of legitimate capture papers or signs of later German rework it would be difficult to tell the difference between a rifle that stayed in Germany or went to Portugal. Mint rifles are usually from Portugal. Import-marked rifles are usually from Portugal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Some of the mint condition ones that I have seen do not have an eagle H on them, only the 135 proof.

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
Some of the mint condition ones that I have seen do not have an eagle H on them, only the 135 proof.
Which is a function of those rifles being produced later. Mauser Oberndorf did the same thing with their regular production rifles. MO dropped the E/H and stacked inspection markings and went to a single E/WaA135.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When would the H block have been delivered to Portugal?

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
M937 - Bolt m/m, NI

Ser. # D4721 - all matching (bolt m/m)- including stock, buttplate and handguard - bolt matches itself and is a "D" series M937 bolt. Original sling.

I'm confused about which rifles were used in Germany and which ones went to Portugal. Supposedly all of the M937 rifles went to Portugal but I've heard both sides. Anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,400 Posts
I'm confused about which rifles were used in Germany and which ones went to Portugal. Supposedly all of the M937 rifles went to Portugal but I've heard both sides. Anyone care to enlighten me?
All of the M937 and all of the M937A rifles went to Portugal. If you look over this serial number database you can get an idea of the M941 rifles which were used by Germany. Any RC rifles and any used post war by Norway were used by Germany. I have not seen any, but any with Iraqi, Israeli, or post war East German markings would also have been used by Germany. If there was one with peened markings, I would say it was used by Germany and later used post war by someone who didn't like swastikas.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,400 Posts
E19747 (M937, 1937 dated)
-------------------------------------------------------------
F 493 (PORT, Sarco import, match, flatbutt plate w/cross)
F 543 (PORT, NI)
F 636 (PORT, NI)
F 962 (GER?, NI, match, service use, Ger. type stock repair, vet bb?)
F 997 (GER, NI, match, Liege Belgian reproofed, rechambered 8x60S)
F 8690(GER, RC, Empire Arms)
F 1356 (?, NI, match, claimed vbb from North Africa, used cond.)
F 2154 (PORT, NI)
F 2342 (?, from old eGuns auction, flat buttplate)
F 6756 (PORT, import, matching, matching bay.)
F 8690 (GER, RC, Empire Arms)
F 9595 (PORT, NI)
F 13614 (GER, RC, Coles)
F 14685 (GER?, matching exc. floorplate, Belgian proofs, Belgian auction)
F 14744 (GER?, NI, matching)
F 15290 (PORT?, uniss., matching, NI, Canada)
F 15521 (PORT?, NI, matching, used, Gunbroker 081306)
F 16699 (PORT, Uniss., matching bay., RI Auction)
F 16980 (PORT?, NI, match, used)
F 17470 (PORT, NI, match, 90%, CLOSE bayo.)
F 18096 (GER, RC, Coles)
F 18970 (GER, RC, Empire Arms)
F 19457 (? , NI, match, 85%. cross on flat buttplate)
F 19555 (PORT, Austrian coll., match, 85%, w/match bayo.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Group,

My Portuguese mauser is serial number G 6056 - 1937 contract Hege Import. All matching number; No bayonet and missing sling and sling swivel (that's what i'm looking for now).
In France 8x60S caliber for licence issue.

Tell me if i missed some information

cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
H14595 - Port. Tiny Hansen import mark on bottom of barrel, hidden by bayonet lug. Walnut stock with cupped buttplate. All matching. Missing bayonet.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts