Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
21,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to avoid installing a permanent bench in the house. I don't have an outside shed or anything that is heatable/coolable. Right now my presses are in the attic, just noticed a little discoloration on the outside of several dies, so I'm looking to move the presses inside.

I figured I'd ask what others may be using for portable benches. I've looked at the Black & Decker Work Mate and similar style benches, but nothing grabs me as being very effective, especially when trying to full length size a rifle case (I really have to apply a lot of pressure using my RS5).

What you are using in the way of portable benches? Photos/tip/tricks would help too!!!

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I do not have "portable" per se reloading benches.

That said, my primary bench COULD BE disassembled, the top and cabinet section from the legs/lower shelf section. 8 carriage thru-bolts. It is the NRMA bench.

My "corner bench" is also small enough to pass through a standard door frame. It is 4' on a side, 90* corner, but the front is within 30" from the back corner so it could be walked thru a normal or larger door frame.

Plans for both are free .pdf's on the internet.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Do you have room for a desk in you bungalow? If the reloading supplies needs to not be seen, maybe a roll top desk might work.

If you are handy and poor. Go to the back of Lowes or other lumber store and get there craps and bundle timbers. I did and made a not so portable ( I rent and dont think it will fit out the door when I leave). All supplies were free and I used what screws I had horded over the years. It took many trips to Lowes to get that much free lumber. The long pieces of wood are what the metal bands sit on that hold the bundles of wood together, they throw it away every day. A piece of fake wood paneling is what is on top of it. I was going to use a steel sheet like i had on my last bench but the paneling works out well.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
21,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think I'm going to have to go with a permanent type bench. Looking at using the 2x4 Basics package.

Thinking its going to be this, stained.

Furniture Desk Table Outdoor table Computer desk

·
Gold Bullet Member
767 Posts
Here is my set up. I stopped at an RV store and got the legs and the cups they fit into. I have since put a double piece plywood for a top as I broke the solid wood one. I used 1/4" screws and nuts inserted into the bottom for press.

Rad

·
Copper Bullet Member
9,360 Posts
Here is my set up. I stopped at an RV store and got the legs and the cups they fit into. I have since put a double piece plywood for a top as I broke the solid wood one. I used 1/4" screws and nuts inserted into the bottom for press.

Rad
is that a herters your running there herr messer? outstanding!! me also

·
Registered
25,725 Posts
Here's some pics of my bench.

Furniture Table Chair Wood Plywood

Furniture Bench Wood Outdoor furniture Plywood

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,235 Posts
Try craigslist, go to free stuff and type in desk. You will be surprised what you find.

·
Registered
13,565 Posts
Years ago, I had a portable freestanding stand built for my press. I have used it ever since.

The base consists of a 24" X36" piece of 3/16" steel, to which I welded a 4" threaded pipe coupling about 6 inches from the back edge.

The top consists of a 9 inch by 9 inch piece of 3/8" plate welded to another threaded coupling.

Connecting the top and bottom is an appropriate length of 4" Schedule 40 pipe, threaded at both ends.

When all assembled and tight, I then drilled holes through the pipe and couplings through which I ran 6" long carriage bolts to keep everything from unscrewing and wobbling.

It is built in such a way that when you are sitting down using the press, your feet naturally sit on the base on either side of the pylon, which helps stabilize the stand while using it.

One of my 'tops' for this stand holds my press, and another one was made for my bullet sizer. The tops are easy to swap out and the entire stand is easy to break down, and easy to move.

It is so easy to move that my press and stand was borrowed several times by teachers who wanted to demonstrate how to reload cartridges at outdoor living classes that the local school system used to put on.

I made a workbench to go with it from a six foot long piece of prefabricated kitchen counter that I got from the local big box store (you can often find these for pretty cheap, especially if they are scratched), along with some prefabricated steel 'workbench legs' which they also sold.

·
Gold Bullet Member
767 Posts
is that a herters your running there herr messer? outstanding!! me also
I have two of the Herters presses. I have on a permanent bench in the garage.

Rad

·
Registered
252 Posts
First reloading bench I put together was a 3/4" 4'x8' sheet of plywood cut into three pieces.
Two were 2' wide and ? long. Remaining segment was 4' long and 96-? wide.
A pair of steel legs were bought which came unassembled. Two long wooden pieces were glued and screwed together making a top 1 1/2" thick 2 feet deep and again? long.
Was very simple and top was held onto the legs with short bolts whose heads were inletted into the surface.
The third piece of the cut wood formed a shelf which spanned the two sets of legs bolted to the leg's cross supports.
Actually thinking about recreatng this for use in a garage room as I have some 3/4" cabinet grade stock I bought some years ago for another project.
Current garage bench is suitable for holding an engine while being rebuilt. ie not portable!
Remember KISS, many times the simpler the design, the easier it is to disassemble and move.
Addendum: The two long top pieces were not 24" wide but somewhat narrower.
The third section of this length was used as a brace along the back of the leg supports.

·
Gold Bullet Member
21,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got to say, the wife is really on-board with me building a bench in the basement. After looking at about 30 different benches/stands, we are going with the table I posted above, in post #5. I think stained and top coated with ??? will be durable and last a while. I'm going to put a couple of handles on the sides so at least I can move it around the room. Its not 100% portable nor will I be able to hide it in a closet, but she is not making me do that either, so its a win as far as I'm concerned. I also can mount some cabinets above fairly easily.

What can I use to protect the stain and wood from gun oil, lubricants, etc????

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,487 Posts
What can I use to protect the stain and wood from gun oil, lubricants, etc????
You will probably get a variety of good answers but I have been very satisfied with tung oil. Works on stocks and has been on my pine floors for 25 years with no maintenance. It has had lots of water on it a time or two when the shower flooded. My tung oiled reloading and work benches are looking fine; workbench (used for gun cleaning) after 25 years and reloading bench after 4 years.

·
Banned
7,379 Posts
how dry is your basement would be my question I had mine in the basement and it turned out really bad now its up stair in a bedroom and I don't care what she says

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I have no problem in a basement, took over a former child's bedroom after they moved out for my gunroom finally.

I finished mine with Minwax Polyurethane Satin stain/sealer.

My corner bench is fairly dark, due to the 'roof' of the 'cabinet' assembly, so, in addition to the 24" flou. tube I installed (under-cabinet type installation), I did the work shelf in a light oak Minwax, and the entire remainder of the interior, sides, shelves, doors, etc, in 2 coats of Kilz-II.

·
Gold Bullet Member
21,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dry basement? Humidity, is that what you want to know???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts