Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a chance at a full case of what was described as Portuguese 8mm heavy ball. I don't have a date of manufacture. Has anyone shot this? How does it compare to the Romanian and Yugo that is currently available?

thanks, runner

·
Registered
743 Posts
You should buy this case of Portuguese 8mm. Most of what I've seen is dated in the 70's and is very clean and accurate. Noncorrosive, but berdan primed. In my four 98's, it is better ammo than the Romanian or the 50's Yugo. I can't make a comparison to the 70's Yugo as I havn't shot any of that. I'd certainly buy more of the Portuguese if I could find some. Regards.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I bought a case in the mid 1980's and still have some, all great stuff, noncorrosive and never a misfire or problem of any kind.

I have heard some complain about their experiences but I have gone through most of a case (I have like 3 90 round boxes left) and never a problem. Mine is marked F.N.M 70-2

You should buy this case of Portuguese 8mm. Most of what I've seen is dated in the 70's and is very clean and accurate. Noncorrosive, but berdan primed. In my four 98's, it is better ammo than the Romanian or the 50's Yugo. I can't make a comparison to the 70's Yugo as I havn't shot any of that. I'd certainly buy more of the Portuguese if I could find some. Regards.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Very Accurate ammo, it was the best ever until the Yugo 70's and 90's came along..The 80rnd boxes pictured above in SimsonSuhl's post is non corrosive and the best.

The bad rep you hear sometimes comes from (I believe) Samcos bottom of the barrell ammo they sold when their good stuff was gone..many complaints of dirty poorly stored FTF crud they pushed out the door at the end..this was sold bulk/loose

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I recently bought some FNM stamped ammo from my local shop. It was cheap and packed loose, fifty rounds in a ziploc bag. The date is 6-61. I had read pretty good reviews online, but my experience wasn't so good. Even though it is very clean in appearance, I had a few hang fires and the chronograph data showed it to be horribly inconsistent. You could even hear the difference between rounds. My guess is that this older dated stuff may be exceeding it's shelf life. It would seem that all who have used the 70's dated stuff have had good results, however.

Regards,

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.