· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun accessory Gun barrel

Wood Gas Wood stain Hardwood Metal

Tableware Wood Barware Drinkware Wood stain

Wood Tool Hand tool Metal Titanium

Wood Bicycle part Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle frame

Ive never seen one with a moving charging bridge. Too bad its sportered.

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am more of an Arisaka guy than an enfield guy :) as clearly shown. Would a No1 Mk3 stock set fit it or does this Mk1*** require a different stock set?

· Registered
8,438 Posts
What would a no1 mk3 stock and parts run me?
At a minimum twice what you pay for the rifle and you would be going backwards if not done the right way.
Mk1 nosecaps aren’t as plentiful as they were a few years ago. You’ll have a harder time finding a forend with the proper rivet and burrs for the back end. The “belly” would need to be the earlier type to accommodate transferring the volley sight plate over to the replacement wood.
You can make the recess for the removed rear iris easily enough if you can do it correctly.
Get all that out of the way you can use Mklll/Mklll* bits to fill it out if you choose to go that direction in time.

It can be done to look like an in-service upgrade. It will still be a contemporary retrofit.

The main question belongs to you. Do you really want a facsimile of a previously converted rifle? Mind you, you might end up with something that looks good when glancing cross eyed from the other side of the room.

· Registered
324 Posts
Shockme77,

Very nice find. I have attached two links to rifles I have "restored." I use that term very loosely, as I am not a professional, and anyone who collects enfields could easily spot my amateur, non-factory work. Reasons for each "resto:" The first was a rare Indian produced mark I* (later upgraded to Mk I***).

The second was a "resto" inspired by boredom during the covid lockdown, with some government provided covid spending money.
SMLE MK I*** put back together (long thread/lots of pics)

I had some of the rare/hard to find parts, and was able to source the other parts from other collectors I know. As you are an Arisaka guy, an attempt to restore something this unfamiliar might be beyond your interest or capability, just as I would have no idea where to start on an Arisaka or K98 retsoration.
The simple answer is yes, a Mk III stock would work, but there is always a "but." If you want a shooter, than the available indian Mk III parts would work, although it would look "off". If you wanted to put it back to its original state, that will take much more time, money and patience.

Keep us updated on whatever you choose, and good luck.

· Registered
14,048 Posts
Prestigious has stocks, likely your best bet:

· Registered
Gunsmith
358 Posts
Prestigious has stocks, likely your best bet:

An added advantage of the Prestigious stocks - the brass reinforcement has not been installed, so you can make and install the correct brass rivet and burrs.

They do take a lot of fitting, and the Enfield stocks up somewhat uniquely. But that's a very nice rifle that deserves to be properly restored - and keep the original butt with the disc!

· Registered
1,678 Posts
I just love all thos inspection stamps. A bit of history that should be restored. Put the sporterised forend up for sale as someone who is good with wood work may want it as a project, but she has been badly disfigured in the cutting back.

· Registered
6,298 Posts
Buy it for sure or let us know where it is, I'd love to put that old warhorse back together. A charger loader and with it's stock disc still in place, that's pretty neat.
Thinking (look’s like) a RF. on the disc & not a badly struck RE(?)
If so getting hits on my charts;
RF=The Royal Fusiliers; The City of London Regiment.
Cheer’s.

· Registered
Gunsmith
358 Posts
Thinking (look’s like) a RF. on the disc & not a badly struck RE.
If so getting hits on my charts;
RF=The Royal Fusiliers; The City of London Regiment.
Cheer’s.
The numbering would be nonsensical then. There's no 137th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. But there's almost certainly a 137th Field or Signals Company Royal Engineers.

· Registered
6,298 Posts
The numbering would be nonsensical then. There's no 137th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. But there's almost certainly a 137th Field or Signals Company Royal Engineers.
Yep not always a precise science with the abbreviation’s charts 👍
From the most reliable chart I pulled the RF from & the RE=The Royal Engineer’s etc.
Cheer’s.

Attachments

· Registered
1,063 Posts
So sad sumone sportered it. theyre not even designed to be used like that! enfields r one of the worst rifles to sporter. i cant believe ppl still sporter mil surps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts