Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a chance to fire my PolyTech M14S that I snagged at Knob Creek. The rifle is in excellent condition, and appeared to have been unfired by previous owners. Bore is chrome-lined and the muzzle measures 1.0. I'm getting a left-to-right, and upward diagonal stringing of successive shots fired from a cooled barrel. See the targets below. In each case, I let the barrel cool with the bolt open for at least 20 minutes between firing sessions, then fired five rounds fairly quickly over a period of about 20 seconds (4 seconds between each shot).

In this last target, I mounted a full 20-round mag, and with about 4 seconds between each shot, I fired the first fifteen at other targets, and the last five at this one. It seems that as the barrel gets hot, the stringing "calms down" somewhat, and the rounds fall in the same general area.

It seems that I have heard of M14's and M1A'S suffering from diagonal stringing in the past, but I don't recall what any of the remedies were. Do any of you guys have any ideas as to how to correct this condition?

-Bean

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

It sounds like I need to look at the stock fit. I may even go ahead and order a USGI one from Fred's.

-Bean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts