Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't C&R, but I am looking for help regarding a Preban Polytech M14 I have the opportunity to buy. The rifle is in very good to excellent shape, and the cost is $699. I know I have heard in the past that either the norinco or polytech (or both) have defective bolts that can cause excessive headspace, but what is the truth?? Also, how reliable & accurate are these rifles?? Is this deal worth it, or should I save my money for something better??

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know this isn't C&R, but I am looking for help regarding a Preban Polytech M14 I have the opportunity to buy. The rifle is in very good to excellent shape, and the cost is $699. I know I have heard in the past that either the norinco or polytech (or both) have defective bolts that can cause excessive headspace, but what is the truth?? Also, how reliable & accurate are these rifles?? Is this deal worth it, or should I save my money for something better??
http://www.google.com/search?q=nori...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Don't know if you've looked at the different sites referred to above, but the responses are overwhelmingly positive. Here is the comment I had posted on one of them:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALMOST ALL of the "bad" things you hear about the chicoms are false rumors spread by ignorant people - OR by those who do conversion work (or their friends) trying to get you for $700 - $900 worth of unneeded work!
The ONLY chicom M1A type rifles that had any problems were the first ones brought in, Many, Many years ago. These were all metric. The later ones are all US spec except for the parts previously mentioned.
There is NO reason to think about heat treating any of the chiocom receivers! There is also no reason to be worried about "soft bolts' as these are also about non existant. Shoot the rifle and watch your empties about every 100+ rds to check the primers. Any head space problem that "MIGHT" appear will be noticed there before it gets bad enuf to cause problems.
Some one earlier commented about "life time warrenty" and who will take care of the rifle if there is a problem. With the chicoms you don't need a warrenty because they will - right out of the box with NO mods - last longer than the much balleyedhooed springfields, which do need such a warrenty because people keep having problems with them!
There has NEVER been a reported major failure of a chicom in the 5+ years I've been on these boards! I have however read of major problems with every single US made receiver M1A type rifle. Guess thats why so many pronounce the chicoms to be junk.
I know of a class 3 dealer with a couple of chicom M14 select fire rifles and he has over 30,000 rds thru them and has never had any problems. I also know of several guys with the semi chicoms with over 10,000 rds and NO problems. Will your lifetime guarentee springfield do better?????
I personally own both a semi M14/S and select fire M14 chicoms and have never had any problems. Got both new and have done nothing but shoot them, and shoot them, and shoot them.
Sarge

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
if in nice shape the price of 700 is slightly less than the going market ,it took me a long time for me,i got one at the local shop for a real cheapo price and found it was not a bad rifle,i then bought another for 700 .no issues with the bolts as i fired then and checked the brass.the head space is for nato chamber and will show on the gages shooting surplus ammo that is nato type spec is fine but i would be hesitant to shoot commercial due to the thinner brass,if you want to shoot regular 308 commercial i would possiblely have the bolt conversion done to tighten it up.springfield is the one that started the rumor at a time when the chicoms were selling for 400 and springfield for 800-900,a buddy bought one of the springfield chicom test rifles from their store at the camp perry and was told they would not warrenty it just get it out of here,,he bought cheap.he also changed every part but the barrel because they had GI parts cheap then and they all fit with out modification...plus they have the real old skool forged receiver..i give a thumbs up on my two buy if it is what your looking for the tiwanise t57 mags are great to or the new made checkmate mags that are from an original military contractor and are being used in the sand box for the rebirth of the 14 due to its long range stopping power...ahhh whats old is new again

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I wouldn't shoot 308 Winchester out of any gun chambered for 7.62 NATO, period.

Well, perhaps an FAL that I can adjust the gas flow to the action. The Winchester round is much, much hotter than the NATO round, unnecessarily accelerating parts wear and shorting the life of key components.

I wonder if repeated use of the Winchester cartridge is what led to the "stretching bolts" rumor of these Chinese guns.

Besides...NATO surplus is cheaper than commericial .308 Winchester. Use the .308 in your bolt actions. Save the NATO for your auto-loaders.

I would jump on a $700 Polytech right now even though I already own one. I bought mine in the late 1990s and used it as the basis for an "almost" National Match M14.

I sent it to Smith Enterprises for the GI bolt conversion. I probably wouldn't think it necessary now, but I did then. The receiver was also heat treated. National Match front and rear sights added. Flash suppressor reamed to NM specs. Action fitted to a Fred's "big red birch" surplus stock and glass bedded (I have never disassembled it since). The trigger was tuned to NM specs. Finally, I had all the metal parts cyrogenically treated.

I say "almost" National Match because I stopped short of having an aftermarket barrel added. I kept the Chinese chrome-lined one. Smith used a National Match chamber reamer on the barrel.

For all this, I have never fired a 168 grain match bullet out of it to see just how it will do. Mainly just South African surplus. When I had the rifle built, I wasn't a very good match competitor and figured I would upgrade to a Krieger or Douglas barrel once my skills came up. I haven't yet, but I may have it done while I'm in Kuwait.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
I like my M14S.....just as it is. Whoever had it before me, had the suppressor professionally reamed and other than that, it's a well made rifle. I paid $500 for it a few years back in a divorce sale...$699 is still a great price. I think they are in the neigborhood $900+ now....buy it...

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,350 Posts
+1 on all of the above.
I have two of em. One headspaces great the other needed a new bolt. I put GI flash hiders on mine and they run fine. I have all of my work done by a good friend that happens to be a Match Armorer that worked in the Navy van at Perry for several years. He has absolutely no problems with the Chicom rifles.
For $699 I'd jump all over it even though I have two Chicoms, one Armscor and 4 Springfields.

·
Gold Bullet member
760 Posts
+1 on all of the above.
I have two of em. One headspaces great the other needed a new bolt. I put GI flash hiders on mine and they run fine. I have all of my work done by a good friend that happens to be a Match Armorer that worked in the Navy van at Perry for several years. He has absolutely no problems with the Chicom rifles.
For $699 I'd jump all over it even though I have two Chicoms, one Armscor and 4 Springfields.
And he can cook too!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I finally got back to the shop today and bought the rifle. I will post pics on Wednesday, as I cannot pick the rifle up until Tuesday (on my way to work).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts