Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a CZ-82 last week and while it's mechanically very nice the finish is a MESS. I'm giving some thought to making this the excuse to try a refinishing project - if I can ever find detailed instructions for a complete disassembly. (I haven't been able to find anything beyond field stripping advice so far.)

But anyway, if I DO go ahead with the project, I'm wondering if there is a federal law prohibiting removal of importer marks? Mine has the importer engraved (rather deeply and roughly) on the bottom part of the frame in front of the trigger guard. (Is that the "dust cover?") That's a non-stressed part of the frame, and I suspect that it could be ground and polished enough to remove the engraving without in any way affecting the structural integrity of the gun. After refinishing it would be just a section of smooth curved metal.

But - anybody know if that would be kosher or not?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yep, Mac has done several slides for me, (one of which FedEx lost for a month!), Mac has removed some slide markings for me and done a great job. And the prices are real nice too!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
But anyway, if I DO go ahead with the project, I'm wondering if there is a federal law prohibiting removal of importer marks?
Federally, I have not seen anything that would prohibit it, but that does not mean they can't make a case for it being removed. Also to add more to that, your state firearm laws may prohibit the removal of the information, best to check what your state laws says about it. So I would be very careful about going that route. the chance you will get caught, is probably minisule, but are will to bet on it?

here is what the ohio revised code says about it:

(A) No person shall do either of the following:

(1) Change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the manufacturer, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on a firearm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Federally, I have not seen anything that would prohibit it, but that does not mean they can't make a case for it being removed. Also to add more to that, your state firearm laws may prohibit the removal of the information, best to check what your state laws says about it. So I would be very careful about going that route. the chance you will get caught, is probably minisule, but are will to bet on it?

here is what the ohio revised code says about it:

(A) No person shall do either of the following:

(1) Change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the manufacturer, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on a firearm.
I have seen that a few times in the past, what is legal to do in one state, makes a firearm illegal in another. So while polishing out the Impoters marks may be OK where you are, later if the pistol is sold to say OH, as noted above, than the new owner could be in deep Doo doo.

-George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts