Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a Polish wz98a at a shop over the weekend. It does not have the eagle or date on the receiver. It has the serial number on one side and a small eagle stamped on the other. My question is would this be a SCW rifle or were some just not marked? They are asking $600.00 for it. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good indication of a polish built rifle for the SCW is to look for a MP over 8 in a flaming bomb stamped on the stock. Another good indicators are no import marks, lack of crest and a bolt marked CZ in the same style as the Czechs.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Very likely SCW, however these scrubbed rifles are usually worth considerably less than crested examples. Is there an 8mm stamp on the barrel? This would indicate an Interarm import from Spain - and likely SCW.

I would think the price is couple hundred too high - of course condition- which you don't mention- plays a big part in value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I sold a SCW Polish 98a nov last year that I refered to as a wz.29, I am not very fluent on their models, so maybe we are talking different rifles, or im wrong on the designations. It was in good condition, matching numbers, sold for $325 on gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Saw a Polish wz98a at a shop over the weekend. It does not have the eagle or date on the receiver. It has the serial number on one side and a small eagle stamped on the other. My question is would this be a SCW rifle or were some just not marked? They are asking $600.00 for it. Thanks for any info.
You're talking about a real Polish wz98a, which is a long rifle (29" barrel), and not something mislabeled?

If it is a long rifle, did the receiver top have something else in place of the eagle and date? See if there is a rounded off triangle with a "Z" inside.

If this is scrubbed and it is SCW related, it would be first Polish long rifle I heard of that went to Spain. The Polish military decided to re-arm with the long rifles in the late 30's and I would have thought they would want to hang on to those. They sent a lot of non-standard weapons to Spain like Mannlichers, Lebels, and such. They did sent some scrubbed Polish Mausers from stock and perhaps a few wz29e's newly made for export.

I find the Polish long rifles much harder to find than the Polish K98's and wz29's. I would think 600 is a fair price for a long rifle even without the crest assuming the overall condition is decent.

Photos would clarify a lot of questions.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Good indication of a polish built rifle for the SCW is to look for a MP over 8 in a flaming bomb stamped on the stock. Another good indicators are no import marks, lack of crest and a bolt marked CZ in the same style as the Czechs.
MP8 would be a solid indicator of SCW use but only some SCW rifles were marked with that. The import mark, which should be present, is "8mm". Lack of crest is a solid indicator on Polish rifles, as is the bolt knob and receiver being marked circle Z (not CZ).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Usual Polish Suspect?

Tourist rather than expert in this Forum. However offering a 'usual suspect', of the category seemingly discussed here. But for crudely stamped SN 99xx, completely scrubbed including bolt, if ever it with nomenclature at all!
Does this 'profile out'?
Iskra

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I have not seen a collector "consensus" as to whether these are scrubbed or simply "blank".
There are Polish K98's without eagle and date which have Spanish characteristics like the MP8 in a bomb as shown in #7 above. Those had to be scrubbed as the Polish K98's were no longer being made when the Spanish Civil War broke out. If the K98's were scrubbed, it is very likely that wz29's were also scrubbed. The question in my mind is whether any additional wz29e's (sanitized export version of the wz29's) were made just for export.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I believe that this is also a Polish Wz 29 built for the Spanish Civil War. Am I correct?
Without a Spanish arsenal marking like the MP8 in a bomb as shown in post #7, I don't think we can definitely say it was sent to Spain or made for Spain. Presumably, only those rifles that needed work by an arsenal received the markings. However, by far most of these scrubbed wz29e's were.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
That rifle with circle Z markings is definitely SCW. It likely is also marked "8mm" on the barrel. The Spanish rebuild, for reasons unknown, frequently marked out the old serial number on the receiver. Sometimes a new s/n was added, sometimes not. It would be a WZ29e.

I'm thinking on one day authority said to mark out all the receiver serial numbers and add new ones. Later authority said no, use the original serial numbers. Some rifles were caught in the middle with s/n marked out but no new s/n added.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
hello,gentlemen. would someone care to comment about the circle Z marks on these pictured rifles? i don't understand why the Polish arsenals used a mark so close to the CZ mark? can someone enlighten us un-informed? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
MP8 would be a solid indicator of SCW use but only some SCW rifles were marked with that. The import mark, which should be present, is "8mm". Lack of crest is a solid indicator on Polish rifles, as is the bolt knob and receiver being marked circle Z (not CZ).
Glad you cleared that up, I realized the mistake once I read your post. Also thanks for supplying pictures BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
hello,gentlemen. would someone care to comment about the circle Z marks on these pictured rifles? i don't understand why the Polish arsenals used a mark so close to the CZ mark? can someone enlighten us un-informed? thanks in advance.
Frosty, Fal Grunt - While it is not possible to know exactly what was in the minds of the powers-that-be in those places, we can speculate. The "Z" most likely stands for the words "zbrojovka" in Czech and "zbrojownia" in Polish which both mean "armory". So, somebody in both places were thinking alike,

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Yes, that seems to be the case. I was a little hesitant to be so certain that the lack of a crest indicates SCW issue. However, I just read where there was a Non-Intervention Pact with an embargo on weapons to Spain during the SCW which Poland was a signatory. Many European countries signed on. Thus, Poland had a motive to sanitize exports to Spain and cover up their shipments by showing manifests to 3rd countries which were not part of the Pact. The embargo was led by Britain, France, Nazi Germany (!), Fascist Italy (!) and the Soviet Union (!), so one can imagine how effective it was - only small countries had to watch out.

This leads to other thoughts:
1)Polish Mausers exported to other places were, then, not sanitized. Indeed, I have seen several Polish Mausers that came out of China, and they still have crests.
2)Polish Mausers sent to Spain before the Non-Intervention Pact was signed in 1937 were also not sanitized.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.