Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1938 Polish Wz29 short rifle, all numbers match even the straight handled bolt. The problem is that someone cut the stock and carved it Bubba sporter style and discarded the bands.

I want to restock it back to the original, what other stocks will fit and where can I get another set of bands and bayonet lug.
It looks like a Vz24 stock and bands will fit but it will need a different hand guard. Even then I will need the sling bar for the side and bolt take down stud. Is this a good substitute?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
It's worth restoring it correctly. Unscrubbed Wz. 29s are getting tough to find.

A Vz. 24 stock will fit, as will most any stock for a standard length Mauser 98 action, but it won't be correct. The Wz. 29 had an inlet sling swivel on the left side of the stock, and lacked the sling swivel in the wrist seen on the Vz. 24. The Wz. 29 also has a stock takedown disk. Even if you modify a Vz. 24 stock to include these features, it still won't be correct. Your best bet is to try to locate an actual Wz. 29 stock. They're tough to find, but they're out there.

Wz. 29:

Vz. 24:

The barrel bands on the Vz. 24 are very close to those on the Wz. 29, so those will work. (However, the sling swivels on the Polish rear barrel band are more triangle-shaped than the oval-shaped ones on the Vz. 24, so it won't be an exact match.) A standard Gewehr 98/Vz. 24/K98k-style bayonet lug and retaining pin should fit, so that will be relatively easy to source.

Wz. 29 parts and stocks pop up on Gunbroker and eBay every now and then, but tend to be kind of pricey. For example, a nice condition Wz. 29 stock with handguard and all the stock metal and barrel bands just sold on eBay last month for $213: http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLISH-WZ-2...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Or, there's a duffle cut Wz. 29 stock on Gunbroker right now, which should be repairable: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412389829

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,771 Posts
Better grab the one on Gunbroker while you can. It beats buying a scrubbed Spanish Civil War WZ29 rifle and later selling the SCW action in your cut down stock.

(Yes, I have bought more than one rifle just to get the stock - or the bolt).

Regards,
Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.