Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just picked up this polish w98 with the Lange visier, from a fellow board member thanks Nelson! And I thought you would all like to take a look of this extremely rare rifle that Is all matching except the bolt! As well as to provide a reference or for research purposes since there aren't many good pictures out there on the internet. But does anyone have any insight to the bolt? It is strange as it isn't any model 98 bolt I've ever seen. Thanks all
Nathan

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more photos

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Beautiful rifle! It looks like the cracked wrist was repaired? That stock marking is CRISP. As a collector of Polish firearms, I am very jealous. If you don't mind, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Also, it is very interesting that the rifle maintained the Lange Visier sight. Typically when the Poles made the Wz.98 rifles, they were automatically updated to the flat tangent style sights.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, it is very interesting that the rifle maintained the Lange Visier sight. Typically when the Poles made the Wz.98 rifles, they were automatically updated to the flat tangent style sights.
Exactly that's what I thought! You don't see many with the original Lange on there anymore, but back to your previous question with Shipping included was $855 all said and done

·
Registered
305 Posts
Shipping included was $855 all said and done
Don't mind me, I'm just going to cry in the corner.
EDIT: I just saw a bayonet in one of the pictures too. If that is a Polish bayonet too (somewhere between $3-500 on its own), you stole the rifle :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't mind me, I'm just going to cry in the corner.
EDIT: I just saw a bayonet in one of the pictures too. If that is a Polish bayonet too (somewhere between $3-500 on its own), you stole the rifle :D
Lol you'll find one someday! But it didn't come with the bayonet I bought that one like a year ago for my wz98a

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,260 Posts
Great find! It reminds me of the VZ98 with Lange sight which came before the VZ98/22.

The bolt is really strange. Some of the markings could be Polish but the short extractor looks neither Polish nor German.

More detail in the photos could be seen if you took them outside in open shade (no shadows, no reflections).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great find! It reminds me of the VZ98 with Lange sight which came before the VZ98/22.

The bolt is really strange. Some of the markings could be Polish but the short extractor looks neither Polish nor German.

More detail in the photos could be seen if you took them outside in open shade (no shadows, no reflections).
Hi geladen, tomorrow I'll see if I can get a unobstructed view of the bolt in the light and hopefully we can get some info on it!

·
15,260 Posts
None of those bolt markings look German to me - but I don't know what they are. The extractor should tell something but I don't recall ever seeing one like that. Hopefully someone else will know something.

The BU markings on the underside of the bolt handle look similar to German commercial, but the German are marked on the top side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
None of those bolt markings look German to me - but I don't know what they are. The extractor should tell something but I don't recall ever seeing one like that. Hopefully someone else will know something.

The BU markings on the underside of the bolt handle look similar to German commercial, but the German are marked on the top side.
Ahh ok thanks for the info! I thought what appears to be a crown with a k maybe was some type of German proof. But yes the extractor is interesting it doesn't look like a Bubba job, it's definitely a factory of some sort. but on a mauser 98 bolt it is a little odd.

·
15,260 Posts
Ahh ok thanks for the info! I thought what appears to be a crown with a k maybe was some type of German proof. But yes the extractor is interesting it doesn't look like a Bubba job, it's definitely a factory of some sort. but on a mauser 98 bolt it is a little odd.
The MS and 643 are not German and the crown over something does not look to me like German style. I think that extractor will be the key - if you can find out what it is.

Maybe all of it is just Polish. But it is lacking the usual Polish 'lucky charms'.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The MS and 643 are not German and the crown over something does not look to me like German style. I think that extractor will be the key - if you can find out what it is.

Maybe all of it is just Polish. But it is lacking the usual Polish 'lucky charms'.
Yes it is I noticed that too, my wz98a has lots of them under the woodline and bolt but this has almost none. Could it be because of it being a early rifle that poland might not have been concerned with stampings and markings, but rather get them out to troops faster? Or maybe the "lucky charms" didn't come around until later rifles that poland produced? With the extractor being out of place it kinda leads me to think it is a commercial bolt of some kind... maybe almost a "one off" design. I'll do some researching and maybe I can find something or someone who might have a idea of what it is.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmmm no clue. I am currently translating a Polish language book on Polish Mausers (as a hobby) and flipped through it just now. Unfortunately it doesn't go into details about proofmarks / stamps / "lucky charms". I believe that for the Gew.98a's they are typically stamped with an eagle on the bolt handle knob?

·
15,260 Posts
Hmmm no clue. I am currently translating a Polish language book on Polish Mausers (as a hobby) and flipped through it just now. Unfortunately it doesn't go into details about proofmarks / stamps / "lucky charms". I believe that for the Gew.98a's they are typically stamped with an eagle on the bolt handle knob?
"I believe that for the Gew.98a's they are typically stamped with an eagle on the bolt handle knob? "
Correct.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The crown over B and U stamps on the bolt look like German commercial proofs. Have never seen an extractor like that, but would guess another commercial sporting rifle type part. Being the bolt doesn't match, not much connection to be made to the rifle, which is a nice find in any case!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
this is just an uninformed comment about the bolt extractor. there's only one, unclear pic of it, but it looks similar to the type seen on the single shot, German target rifles, in cal. 8.15x46R.

if you want more help from other members at identifying this bolt and extractor, i'd suggest you try to post more,(several) good clear pics of the bolt from all angles, that show the extractor well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts