Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guy,s here it is.I just bought a Polish TT-33 and as par for the course for these pistols it looks like new,with the exception of the BATF required safety.It works,sorta like a duck with a broken leg.It flopps all over the place.You can push it past the fire indent all the way up to the bottom of the slide,and back.This can,t be normal and while I know that you are supposed to use the safety between your ears,I would still like to know if there is a fix for this or is there something else I can do. Thanks for any help Frank

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like you need to tighten the screw that holds the safety lever. I have a Chinese 213 clone that's the same way. I've tightened the safety screw, checked it many times for function, only to have it become too tight when trying to shoot. Readjusted it only to have it flop as it wants. Readjusted again to tighten and finally it won't rotate completely around but does move from gravity. I just bump it forward each time with my thumb so it won't interfere with firing but do keep out of the way of the slide. Not sure which site but somewhere folks are removing it and filling the hole....can't say that is ok either.

·
Silver Bullet member
777 Posts
Once it has been imported is it legal to remove the safety? I've always wanted to just ream, thread and plug the hole. Refinish to blend then reblue. Maybe then I'd buy one of these Rube Goldberg devices.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip,going to try that and see if it works or not.Don,t know if it,s going to do the job because the safety bar is held in place with a split ring.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like the small "detent" pin is either missing or not "engaging" correctly.

Remove the slide retainer clip completely, slide the safety out (from right to left) and check... there should be a spring loaded pin sitting in a hole drilled on the safety that "fits" / "clicks" into two small indents cut into the rear edge of the (left side) of the hole that's drilled though the frame - the hole where that monstrous safety goes through.

When you take out the safety be sure not to lose that tiny pin if it's still there - disassemble in a clear plastic bag or a 5 gallon bucket so that if it "flies" you can easily find it

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
I had the same problem with my polish 33. I removed the added safety and threw it away, and got rid of that stupid thumbrest grip as well, and put on the flat panel grip. there is no law that forbids you to remove those things from the gun. they had to install those stupid things in order to import them.

but you do what you want

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marcodelat thanks you hit it on the head,the spring and the pin are both missing.Now got to figure out if I can fing a replacement or just plug the damn thing up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
... the spring and the pin are both missing.
Are you sure that the spring is no in the hole?

Take a small finishing nail or something similar (a pin punch, etc.) and stick in there and see if there is tension.

If there is, then the spring is there and all you will have to do is make a new pin... maybe from the shank of a small drill bit... or that finishing nail... easy to do - can mic mine and let you know the length.

If the spring is gone, well tiny coil springs like that are available - I might even have some from an H&R or IJ revolver ( I tinker on these) that would work.

·
Registered
843 Posts
We'd be safer if all TT-33s were restored to mil spec pattern. Shooters often assume that the added safeties are much better at their function than they are and there's a lot of confusion regarding the various patterns. That's to say nothing of the shoddy workmanship common to those out of spec safeties. GCA-68 itself is very poorly crafted and has little if anything to do with public safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.