Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my Wz88 out for a test drive today for the first time. She shot low and after some adjustment ran like a champ. Ate every round of Russian surplus. Easy to keep in the black. I think I'm going to run this in the military rifle match next Saturday at TCSL in Saline. MI. I won't win with the bull barrel AR guys- but if today is any indication I should make it interesting if I do a half way interesting decent job. I always try to shoot something odd each time and have always thought an AK would be fun. This 74 type is accurate and Ken at Global Military Gunsmithing got the trigger just right. Smooth, light and crisp. I should be able to be in the 300-325 range pretty easy if I do my part. Biggest issue is the cheek weld on the folder. I might have to jiggy wig a cheek rest.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
I agree, the 74's I have are all accurate. Hope you shine at the shoot. One question... what makes the "wz85"?

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wz88 -I mis spoke on the phone submit and stand corrected. Anyone know who has mags? I need 3 metal ones.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, the 74's I have are all accurate. Hope you shine at the shoot. One question... what makes the "wz85"?

Ohh I have a Romanian that I can shoot around corners with- lol

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A lot of doubters but there are 1MOA Ak's . My wz88 tantal shoots Russian and Bulgarian surplus 1moa at100 . Also my archer/beryl with cheap wolf steal case 55gr . And federal 55gr government contract ammo . Bought a cheek rest for the tantal from AMD65.com as well as the Radom factory night vision rail . Haven't gotten to installing it yet .

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,637 Posts
Copes used to sell steel Tantal mags. I haven't checked in in a while to see if they still do. Kind of pricey, high 20s IIRC. Just the way it is with the 74 though.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,713 Posts
Polish Tantals are nice shooters., but so are most AK74/5.445 pattern AK's.
Steel Tantal mags are pretty scarce right now. Dunno any retailers carrying them at present. The milspec polymer Polish, Bulgarian or Russian are plenty durable though. The recent Bulgarian non milspec imports are serviceable but not durable for rough handling as they lack reinforced metal tabs etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tantal - range report - 100m and 200m

My wz88 tantal shoots Russian and Bulgarian surplus 1moa at100
Just for the clarification - 1 MOA at 100m from the iron sight? Impressive

I have still some work to do with my Tantal but like it more and more.
Last saturday I brought my Tantal to a local shooting competition - 100m and 200m - 3 test shots and 2x5 shots for the score.
The results are not very impressive - a correction of the front sight is needed to shift the bullets impact to the left.
But here is the fun part - at 200 m I surprised myself. It was a double surprise because after the change of the target from 100m to 200m I didn't change the rear sight settings and shot from the setting "1". I used the spotting scope for the correction so I managed to stay on target. Anyway - despite not very high scores - 83/100 at 100m and 85/100 at 200m I'm very pleased with my Tantal performance from the iron sights.

Here is the Tantal ( not exactly wz. 88 - I modified it a bit
)

100m

200m

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Same rifle as the archer . Different caliber . Very similar ballistics . You tube is full of archers shooting 1MOA at 100 yards . Why the doubt? If you take the problem, the shooter out of the equation and it's surprising what a lot of rifles will do . I like to use a fixed gun vise then see what it does and then see what I do .

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,820 Posts
Well for starters I doubt the ammo many of these people are shooting was loaded to 1MOA specs. It's good ammo but when I chrono it I see differences greater then I'd think could deliver 1 MOA consistently.

Also I consider there to be a difference in a rifle that has shot 1MOA and a MOA rifle. I owned a SAR 1 that was very accurate, scoped and benched it would do right at 2 inches with good ammo. Every once in a while it would shoot a 3 shot one inch group, but more often it would shoot a 3 inch 3 shot group. That rifle would shoot MOA but it was not really a MOA rifle IMO. I would also note that a rifle shooting tight 3 shot groups does not necessarily have the same accuracy as a rifle that can shoot tight 5 shot groups'

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Well mike I been called a liar before . Oh well . Internet opinion . LOL. My archer and tantal will shoot 1 MOA . Call it a 4 MOA rifle . I put my reputation on my statement

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.