Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Picked up this mixmaster Kar98a with markings that I think are Polish.The receiver was made in Danzig in 1918. Someone got a file and took a swipe at Willie the Deuce's crown.It appears the 7.92 mark has been restruck. It's also stamped with an unusual encircled crossed swords marking I've never seen before.Where the Hohenzollern eagle would normally be, stamped on the left side of the receiver, there's a more robust looking bird that looks like the one found on Polish rifles and bayonets.Anyone every encountered one of these before?

Best regards,
Len

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
?Polish Kar98a?

It may have passed through Polish hands, but more likely that "Crossed swords" is actually a badly struck Spanish mark ( Looks a bit like the "Phantom" comics' "Good mark"--a cross with loops on the ends of the arms).

Does the butt have the "Flaming Bomb" or MP8 mark??? ( characteristic of recovered SCW firearms)

The Imperial German Eagle is OK for a Danzig late war produced rifle... there were slight differences between the Eagles used by the various Factories.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gentlemen,
Thanks for your replies and for setting me straight. The stock doesn't have the MP8/flaming bomb cartouche.

Best regards,
Len

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have seen Zeitler, Wein M95 bayonets with a crossed swords logo. Can't say if it is the same though and not enclosed in a circle. Do a search.
D.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
I took a quick digipic now that it's daytime of the Spanish loopy-cross proof on the cocking piece of a carbine I have, it's a stronger/clearer example of what I think you have a weak stamped version of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts