Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t bought a Mosin Nagant for a few years and have sold off a lot of my collection however I couldn’t resist this. I sold my last Polish M44 because the butt plate was a mis-match (but my brain has no problem with Finned Mosins - go figure).

All matching and very minty bore.

Polish sling. Is it back to front?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
That's a lovely Pole. They are jewels among the Mosin family. I have a minty one put away and a shooter grade that sees a fair bit of range time. No regrets whatsoever.

I get the fixation on mismatched parts on milsurps. I once owned a really nice Romanian SKS that was all matching except the bolt (which sits under the bolt carrier and cannot be seen when the rifle is assembled.) Yeah, I sold it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Those polish m44s are the finest made mosins, the finish work and blueing is so nice on those. I picked mine up for $60 off craigslist years ago when people sold guns there. Even then $60 was cheap for these.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your comments.
It looks and feels like a brand new rifle but with a much better finish. Previous owner reckons the round count is approx 250 which I can well believe. Some chatter on the web about ‘51 dated rifles not having serial numbers on butt plate - this one is numbered.
Very happy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was asked If I knew much about Mosins (because Id ownwd a few) asked to look over a pre-buy.
It was a very nice looking all matching Polish M-44.
I mentioned, 'we' should look down the bore.
It was pretty dusty in barrel (fuzzy) and so we ran a cleaning patch down the barrel, yet bore looked funky, so 'we' ran a bore brush down the barrel, now I could see some alarming things.
The corroded Rifling looked like interrupted threads with vast swaths totally gone.
Minty on outside and cast iron sewer pipe on inside.
Owner had bought ctgs and shot it, the problem was the ammo was corrosive and owner never cleaned it before going in closit for 7 years.

What was odd was There was no brite rust showing.
Did owner just hose down barrel with lube?

After seeing that, Im more interested on whats inside the chamber and barrel than exteriour finish, that was basicly a brand new unissued Polish Mosin, and it was turned into a wall hanger.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Some of the new un-issued Polish 44 carbines did have mis-matched buttplates.I do not know why that would be but thats the way they came from storage in Poland when they were sold off as surplus.

·
Registered
20,352 Posts
Nice rifle indeed. In the USA, I came across only one in my life in mint condition and regret not paying the 300 dollars for it. I did open a crate of them in Iraq, all mint new virgin all matching examples and sadly no way to bring one back. Was a crate of Yugo M48 Mausers, all virgins in same cache site. What great LOOT that would have been !!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice rifle indeed. In the USA, I came across only one in my life in mint condition and regret not paying the 300 dollars for it. I did open a crate of them in Iraq, all mint new virgin all matching examples and sadly no way to bring one back. Was a crate of Yugo M48 Mausers, all virgins in same cache site. What great LOOT that would have been !!
Been thinking of getting an M48 myself, just such a gorgeous piece. Problem is the ammo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was asked If I knew much about Mosins, asked to look over a pre-buy.
It was a very nice all matching Polish M-44.
I mentioned should look down the bore.
It was pretty closet dusty and so we ran a pach down the barrel, still looked funky so ran a bore brush down the barrel, now could see some alarming things.
Rifling looked like interrupted threads.
Minty on outside and cast iron sewer pipe on inside.
Owner bought ctgs and shot it, the problem was the ammo was corrosive and never cleaned before going in closit for 7 years.

Im more interested on whats inside the chamber and barrel than exteriour finish.
Got one In the sale forum if you ever come to town mine has mint bore I clean my stuff after every outing . It does have mismatched buttplate like the other guys talked about like they partial ground and blued but never stamped new number . rest all matching numbers . Aaron

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re-reading my post above sounded funny...buying a rifle for the import mark. To clarify, I try to avoid the banner type import marks, even if the rifle is otherwise nice.
Polish M44's with the mismatched butt plate would seem like a refurbed rifle. What are other signs, or marks of a Polish refurb M44?
The Polish M44 I have has a different sling. It doesn't have separate dog collars.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My friend lucked out on a never issued Polish M44. Don't recall how many years ago that was. Thanks for sharing.
So did I. I found it in a small gun shop, in a rack, surrounded by hunting rifles.

That was at least 12 years ago, and I paid $225 for it.Which doesn't sound like a lot today for an unissued Polish M44, but at the time, it was a bit more than I actually had in my gun fund

My wife told me "Get it! If you don't, you'll regret it for years to come!" She was right. It's a beautiful, absolutely pristine rifle, and it's the only gun in my collection that I don't shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts