Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This beautiful polish Mauser came home with me today from a gunshow. I was about to get a Lebel rifle, but then I spotted this one and it spoke to me...

It is all matching (!), stock and all. Nice cartouches in the wood. Not scrubbed and not a single German mark, all marks are polish so far as I can tell. It included a sling that looks to have been with it a long time, original I believe. The wood is lovely, the pictures don't do it justice!

The receiver is marked with a small eagle and 790 (the caliber I believe).
Then there's a large eagle over P.F.K. over Warszawa 1928. Beside the P.F.K. stamp is an oval with an F or J inside. After the 1928 stamp there is a triangle with a short line coming out of each side. On the left of the receiver it is marked with K98

There are sling swiwels below and a fixed sling loop on the side of the rear band, on the side of the buttstock is a hollow with a bar across instead of the german slit through the stock.

On the right of the buttstock there is a cartouche with a large K inside a shield, above it the polish eagle with P and F around. On the front of the pistol grip there's an eagle over a circle with two letters, numbers or symbols in, I cannot read them.

It is far from mint, but beautiful. At $200 I figured I could not go wrong...

Now, could anyone enlighten me on the meaning of the stamps and cartouches? All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Can't go wrong for $200 on a Polish mauser. A scrubbed 98AZ is more than $200. You did extremely well. Enjoy.
D.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Looks like a well spent $200 to me! Great rifle.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,768 Posts
A suggestion: very carefully examine the toe of the buttstock, just forward of the buttplate. If there is a Waffenampt acceptance stamp on the rifle, that is where you'll find it.

M

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very nice Bayonetcollector! An all matching Polish version of the German K98a (AZ). You did great! Well worth the $200.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
That's a really nice looking Polish K98, you did really well. I find that taking pictures outside on my deck with natural light shows up much better.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,708 Posts
What a great find. I paid more than that for mine, 1929 dated with full markings,all matched but otherwise correct bolt, and feel that I got a good deal. You did extremely well. The last one I saw was priced at over $400. and I considered it. In this rare case,
waiting did pay off for me but it often doesn't......We both were lucky....

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for your replies.

Now for another question. What bayonets will have been used with this one? The standard polish bayonets or the polish marked German 98/05s? Both types?

I personally think it looks best with the 98/05, but then i'm biased in favour of 98/05s always... :p

Any pics to show what would be the most "correct"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts