Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
57Coastie
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 5:10:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could one of our more experienced members provide a list of positions on my 1917 m/96 which should show the last three numbers of the serial number, or a referral to a post with this info? I would not want to hold mine out as "all matching" when there is a point somewhere which I have overlooked. I do not do very well with the "Search" feature.

This morning I thought I had found them all, and I just found two more. There is no reason to believe that my search has ended.

Thanks,
Jim

swede
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 7:00:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 19 numbers on a M-96 as follows :

- receiver
- bolt body
- bolt sleeve
- cocking piece
- safety
- bayonet lug
- handguard band
- mag floorplate
- bolt release
- buttplate
- rear sight ladder
- rear sight slider
- rear sight catch
- cleaning rod

firing pin
barrel
triggerguard
stock
handguard

These last 5 can only be seen when disassembled .

Not normally known as a matching part , the extractor can be found with the 3 digit serial number scratched on the underside .

JK
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 7:54:54 PM
Don't forget that some rifles also have the back of the cleaning rod stud and the underside of the rear sight leaf spring numbered.
Best, John

swede
Posted - 01/22/2007 : 12:47:01 AM
That is news to me . I never heard of that before & never looked there either .

Swedeman
Posted - 01/22/2007 : 08:05:46 AM
And, I have seen a couple with serialized triggers, too, but the list Swede posted contains the "accepted" 19 serial-numbered parts to look at.

IGNORE the cleaning rod ... if it does match then that is great, but do not use it in determining if a Swede is all-matching or not. Cleaning rods were routinely swapped around by the Swedes with no concern for keeping them matched to the rifles.

arilar
Posted - 01/22/2007 : 08:43:08 AM
Originally posted by Swedeman

IGNORE the cleaning rod ... if it does match then that is great, but do not use it in determining if a Swede is all-matching or not. Cleaning rods were routinely swapped around by the Swedes with no concern for keeping them matched to the rifles.
Thanks Swedeman. That expression, "all matching besides cleaning-rod", has actually surprised me! Glad to see your opinion that I also support.
ARILAR

swede
Posted - 01/22/2007 : 4:13:33 PM
The importers may have had more to do with the mismatched cleaning rods than you think . Some importers removed all the cleaning rods upon arriving in their warehouse to place the import marking on the bottom of the barrel between the bayonet lug & front sight base . There was no attempt to match cleaning rods to each rifle . Many may have been matching , while others may not have been matching . No way of knowing for for sure . Differant importers had differant practices at differant times & do not appear consistant in placing their import markings .

There are rifles with matching cleaning rods & they usually bring a small premium . Mostly , I see them on M-96's with the original " VEE sights " . Those rifles which have not been in the Swede arsenals for many years . There are later rebuilds that have matching cleaning rods as well . They are NOT common .

Mike442
Posted - 01/24/2007 : 12:18:33 AM
I was told that some of the M96 rifles were produced and issued with un-numbered cleaning rods. And if it has an un-numbered rod, this doesn't necessiarly mean it is non-matching. Is this true?

swede
Posted - 01/24/2007 : 01:41:21 AM
It appears that the M-38's were issued with unnumbered cleanig rods . The original M-96's were most likely issued with matching numbered cleaning rods . Any that you see with an unnumbered cleaning rod are probably replacements . I would simply call it matching with an unnumbered cleaning rod .

1 - 1 of 1 Posts