Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all I know I would need some of the build done by an gunsmith.
But I'd like to build a .338 WM custom big game rifle using a Mauser reciever made by Mauser or FN.

My questions are:

A) Will the standard reciever found on a K-98 load and feed .338 rounds assuming it has a new barrel chambered for it, otherwise does it need miminal or alot of modification?
Or do I have to look for FN/Mauser made big game reciever?

B) Who makes a good book guide to stock making? I have built boxes and furniture in the past so I'd like to get an idea of how to make my own stock once I obtain a bandsaw.

C) Who can I send the barrel and reciever to for bluing (shipped from and back to a FFL dealer). I'd like the bluing to be good as my ruger M-77 Mark II.

D) Any good places to buy the reciever and bolt along with action assembly besides Numrich?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Never said anything about destroying a Mauser, which I cringe when I see people posting about turning their granddaddy's/fathers bringback rifle into a sporter.

Bascially several sources like Numrich, or Shotgun news will have sources to obtain a reciever, along with the trigger assembly and action.

Now that Winchester has discontinued the Model 70, Ruger could use more stock options (I wish they looked more like Remington, or Browning), I wouldn't plan on buying a Remington or Browning. Kimbers are out of reach especially over $2000 for the SuperAmerica in .338 WM. Just under $3000 you can buy a genuine Mauser made 03 model.

The Montana action is a another option but its pricier. Reason being is I'd like the pride of having an rifle that at least I did some work on myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone who is close family has one of those Interarms Mausers with Zastava made reciever. Not very well taken care of through. (In .300 WM)

I areadly have a Ruger Mark II 30x06 and Browning A-bolt .22 (Made by Miroku).
Now Mauser used to be making rifles at reasonable cost decades ago postwar.
Weatherby used to made on FN recievers until they were cost probitive.
It is my preference to have a Mauser or FN made reciever, but its cheaper than paying $3000 for a Mauser '03.
I was planning on a muzzle brake through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.