·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts

Hope they saw the wrist crack.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Well having been to that auction a couple of times and being an older man even I was kind of distracted by the eye candy ladies working there so maybe the buyer was there in person would you believe? Many of the big and older auction houses do this either on purpose or by design. Hehe I guess it might work? Many of the newer high roller and deep pockets bidders at these have little or limited knowledge of what they are bidding on from what I have observed on location at times and are easily distracted by the good looking women there marching around. I will only admit to bidding on the wrong rifle one time when one lady marched around the room and Thank God I was outbid! I don't remember what the rifle was but I sure remember the blond, please ignore this. It never happened, you do believe me right? One thing I have learned about rich people is they don't have to be smart just lucky. Bill

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?!?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes. A friend went and inspected the gun in person for me. Another friend had called and asked twice about stock cracks on the gun and was told there were no issues with the stock at all.... so glad my buddy was there in person... still a great gun, but i wouldnt have been happy at all to be surprised by that if I had bid and won.

·
Registered
671 Posts
One of the privileges of the wealthy is the ability to over pay just because they can. Why not pay 3 times the estimated value just to show the plebs who is in charge.

Nice rifle but not worth the price. Will never recover the cost but my guess is the person who bought it doesn't need to care about the future value.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Yes. A friend went and inspected the gun in person for me. Another friend had called and asked twice about stock cracks on the gun and was told there were no issues with the stock at all.... so glad my buddy was there in person... still a great gun, but i wouldnt have been happy at all to be surprised by that if I had bid and won.

Always pays to be careful and patient.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
One of the privileges of the wealthy is the ability to over pay just because they can. Why not pay 3 times the estimated value just to show the plebs who is in charge.

Nice rifle but not worth the price. Will never recover the cost but my guess is the person who bought it doesn't need to care about the future value.
It's a original finish, matching, high condition Podolsk that wasn't captured/vandalized by the Finnish. They are not common. The crack is potentially a serious problem, but it's a 3-4k rifle without it. The final price is too high but only by $1000 or so (ignoring the crack). And no, I didn't buy it.

I see dumber buys on GunBroker everyday.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,577 Posts
The crack in the stock hurts the value. However, besides that this is a very nice and extremely rare rifle. This is not your typical refurbished junk or pieced together Finn capture. How many here own a original SVT let alone a Podolsk? They are tough to find. I think $4,500 is a little high but if that is what a bcd G43 sells for then why not a more rare rifle?

Why do we assume the bidders were rich, ignorant collectors? Perhaps it was someone who recognized how rare this rifle is and was willing to pay for it. (And for the record I did not win this auction, nor bid).

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's a original finish, matching, high condition Podolsk that wasn't captured/vandalized by the Finnish. They are not common. The crack is potentially a serious problem, but it's a 3-4k rifle without it. The final price is too high but only by $1000 or so (ignoring the crack). And no, I didn't buy it.

I see dumber buys on GunBroker everyday.
I confess I have no idea what it is really worth. I'm just going by the "estimated value" in the auction listing ($1.2-1.6 K); I assume the seller and auction house have some reasonable knowledge on the subject but somebody dropped 3 times the estimate. It is the privilege of the wealthy to ignore plebeian considerations like re-sale value.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't know much about the rifle or svt's in general and I agree with the above comments that some folks can spend more money if they want something but we don't know if the person who bought it is rich, stupid, smart or maybe on their death bed and always wanted one as a dream. Rifle could have been his dad's sold x number of years ago and he found it and had to have it back. I'm not really sure if I was rich that I would spend an excessive amt of money on something just to show folks that I could either. And who are we to say how much rich is? Look at Michael Jordan spending 50000 at a blackjack table and no big deal. Dannnng. That's rich Maybe not to bill gates or the wallstreet elite. Just because someone spent an inordinate amount of money on something we see as too much. Well, value is in the eye of the beholder not the other bidders. we also don't know the facts of why it was bought. And to say that rich folks are just lucky seems a bit much. This is what I know about people who are rich: Most rich people who stay rich are not stupid. Obviously, we can say all people do stupid things with money, even such as buy crazy high priced rifles. (I.e. What does your spouse say about you spending money on guns.. And what do u say about them spending money on shoes). Maybe it finished his wall hanging collection of svt's and it wasn't stupid at all because now he's done. The motive might define the stupidity, sanity, or lunacy. No I didn't buy the rifle but I was interested in that Remington made mosin. I was badly outbid ....��

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,577 Posts
I confess I have no idea what it is really worth. I'm just going by the "estimated value" in the auction listing ($1.2-1.6 K); I assume the seller and auction house have some reasonable knowledge on the subject but somebody dropped 3 times the estimate. It is the privilege of the wealthy to ignore plebeian considerations like re-sale value.
A Auction House's "estimated value" is not usually a good guide for pricing. And in this case it is a joke. Refurbs sell for $900 to $1,2000, not factory original rifles. That is probably what the people at the auction house were using to give a estimated value. Why on earth is this rifle not be worth more than a refurb? I have found that Auction houses are not experts on the firearms they are selling. And simply can't be experts on everything.

And what are you using to determine this price is too high? Can you show me where two or three other similar rifles sold for much less?

·
Registered
671 Posts
A Auction House's "estimated value" is not usually a good guide for pricing. And in this case it is a joke. Refurbs sell for $900 to $1,2000, not factory original rifles. That is probably what the people at the auction house were using to give a estimated value. Why on earth is this rifle not be worth more than a refurb? I have found that Auction houses are not experts on the firearms they are selling. And simply can't be experts on everything.

And what are you using to determine this price is too high? Can you show me where two or three other similar rifles sold for much less?
Nope, can't show you any at all. Just contrasting the "estimated value" with the final price $5400 (incl. the 20% premium which the auction house did not earn with their "estimate").

·
Registered
861 Posts
At the least two people thought it was worth about what was payed for it. We collectors tend to price things for what we think they would resale for because even though we like them we tend to think of them as a investment. Not everybody does. Some people just buy things because they want them and don't really care what they would resale for they don't plan on selling them anyway. That will be someone else's problem in the future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From their description....Approx. 70% original factory blue with balance thinning, original stocks are excellent.

Definitely deceptive, and they took photos all around the stock/receiver except where the crack is.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I've got a couple of rare pieces to sell - if Morphy's can get that kind of money out of that SVT, maybe I should give them a call...
That is the gamble of selling at an auction house, can they indeed get the value and money you want? I have seen absolute values march out the door at an auction house and indeed walked out with killer buys! But there is no warrantee for either the seller or the buyer. Morphy's has a classy operation with the good looking young women to entice you to be a big spender as do several other big operating auction houses do. They also have large buyers premiums, cushy selling places, and food present to make the experience more enjoyable and easier on the buyer. For those of you who have never gone to a real first class and expensive auction I would say even if you aren't going to buy anything you should indeed go once just to absorb the atmosphere. I felt way out of place the first few times I went but it is enjoyable and you meet some neat people who have the same interests as you do. All in all not a bad deal for a time away from normal life of us peons! Haha!

I often point out as others have recanted the only person accountable for the price paid is the buyer and he is only accountable to himself or herself when you come down to the final line! Congrats to someone regardless of the price paid! Bill

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.