Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a couple of posts, claiming this ammo (older, Korean produced) is way too hot, and dangerous. Has a consensus been reached, is it considered fact ? I ask, because I have a 100 rds. I will of course err on the side of caution if need be, but many of such allegations are proven false, eventually.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,680 Posts
There was a problem with PMC ammo back in the late 1990's , if I remember correctly . A few Swedish mausers were reported as blown up . PMC never admitted anything , but it appears they reduced the loads at some point in time . I had 10 boxes & tried to get my money back , but never heard back from them . I had to pull the bullets & dump the powder . As you said , better safe than sorry . I have never bought any PMC ammo since then . These were in red & white boxes . Not sure what recent PMC ammo boxes look like . I don't know any lot numbers ??????????

Do you have any idea how old your ammo is ?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a problem with PMC ammo back in the late 1990's , if I remember correctly . A few Swedish mausers were reported as blown up . PMC never admitted anything , but it appears they reduced the loads at some point in time . I had 10 boxes & tried to get my money back , but never heard back from them . I had to pull the bullets & dump the powder . As you said , better safe than sorry . I have never bought any PMC ammo since then . These were in red & white boxes . Not sure what recent PMC ammo boxes look like . I don't know any lot numbers ??????????

Do you have any idea how old your ammo is ?
Alas. I have the "red and white" boxes. The ammo was made by the PMC mothership, in Korea, and I guess it's from the 90's. I sent an e-mail questioning the ammo to PMC - and NO response. I could understand a BS answer, but I can't understand No answer.

·
Banned
7,057 Posts
I've shot it mine was labeled target ammo and it shot great I'am actually down to 1 box and at 100 yards you could cover 3 shots with a dime this isn't a swede surplus gun it's actually a model 95 small ring mauser that I had a new surplus barrel put on and then restocked it with a few tricks given to me by an older gunsmith. If anybody knows the actual load they used I would be interested in knowing because that combination I haven't been able to reproduce I know it's a 144 grain bullet and can measure the col but I never tried to identify the powder used or how much?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ironically, in the last hour, PMC sent me an e-mail. They explained that the company has been through a couple of owners since that ammo was imported from Korea, and they have no records at all of those lots, or, any record or recollection of problems. He also added that it has been 10 years since they have produced any 6.5x55.

·
Registered
285 Posts
OTOH, I shoot lots of PMC ammo, especially .223/5.56x45 and have never had an issue with any. I don't think I've shot PMC 6.5x55 mainly because there was better hunting ammo available, even my own handloads.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My shooting partner fired a lot of this stuff and it was really hot in Swedes .The primers were very flat but no tight bolt problem .He reloaded the brass and most let go near the web after one reload like most full length sized brass does after multiple loadings.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,089 Posts
I have 5 boxes of PMC target lot #6.5MA-064,

came with a Ag42B I was given (from Dad)

thinking I'll just pull that and reload using some recipes from the sticky thread,

I also bought some of the Samco blank ammo, to do the same,

·
Registered
119 Posts
The PMC ammo from the 1990's in the red and white box that I checked (140 grain SP) was short on the headspace measurement. It produced flat primers like a high pressure load but with normal bolt lift and left a bright ring around the case head on the first firing.
I also checked PMC ammo in a green box (144 gr FMJ) from after year 2000 (according to my note) and the headspace measurement on new ammo was corrected.
These are measurements with my Stoney Point headspace gauge:

PMC (1990's) 3.757" to 3.759"
Lapua brass new 3.763" to 3.767"
m/41 mil ammo 3.763" to 3.766"
PMC (2000) 3.764"
Win 3.764" to 3.766"
R-P 3.766" to 3.768"

As you can see they are a bit short to the shoulder and I think that was the problem. All other manufacturers were close to the military ammo.
Note: the measurement were taken from either new brass cases or unfired loaded ammo. The measurement is length including the gauge and is the headspace NOT COAL.

Can't figure out how to align the measurements - sorry.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Impressive physical analysis. But being unsophisticated myself, I don't know what to do with the information ! May I presume that a conclusion would be: 1). breaking down to components solves nothing. 2). It's probably safe to fire - once. 3). If #1 & #2 are correct, after firing, brass should be discarded. 4). All the previous are incorrect, it's NOT safe to fire because of the excessive headspace created - chuck all the rounds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you reload you can pull the bullets and put a false shoulder on the neck by sizing the neck to a larger caliber ( .284 maybe). Then neck size only the brass back to 6.5 stopping short of the shoulder and to where the case will just chamber. The false shoulder will hold the case back against the bolt when fired and the case will fire form to the chamber.

There are a few other methods such as seating a long bullet into the lands or oiling the cases and you can find out more about them with an internet search.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have shot PMC in my Swedish Mausers. I won' shoot it again!!! I can tell you not only is it HOT flattened primers Short on headspace and small at the rim. This causes the shiny ring Max was talking about. Swedish ammo is supposed to be ,480 at the extreme rear of the case. Most all american made brass is made on the 30.06 case dimensions .472. Too small and you get the shiny ring just ahead of the rim. I have seen this shiny ring crack on 2nd firing completely around the case with partial or complete separation of case head. If you choose shoot it 1 time and do not try to reload!!!! Justy my .02

·
Registered
744 Posts
A wrap or two of scotch tape on the casehead for the initial firing should help uniform the bulge around the casehead and help make it less extreme. If you neck size the case on the next sizing the fireformed case body forward of where the tape was should help keep the case centered in the chamber thus providing a uniform expansion on the casehead (without the tape) when fired again. .
Are you kidding? This type of information could get someone maimed or worse. The case is still too small at the rear which is not annealed and is not supposed to expand!!!Check the PMC case and check you reloading manual!!!!! How are you fireforming with TAPE AND THEN REMOVE THE TAPE? HOW ABOUT SOME HAMMERED FLAT BAILING WIRE??? Upon firing the case will still try to fill the chamber and now you still have a ring that will rupture on the 2nd firing!!!!.Be sure your life insurance is paid up if you try this!!!!! I wouldn't use scotch tape for anything except to seal an envelope. It serves no purpose other than that. Maybe if you destroy your rifle you could Sue 3m?? I don't think so! Why not just buy the right ammo to start ??????????

·
Registered
744 Posts
If the OP has a recalled lot then I agree. Stop and determine another path. If it is simply slightly undersized caseheads like many commercial brands of 6.5x55 Swede are a wrap or two of tape does help on the initial firing to prevent swell on just one side. It has not killed anybody yet that I'm aware of. It has been done with slightly narrow 6.5Jap cases as well for just the same reason. The OP needs to determine if he has a recalled lot or not, and then proceed or decide not to.

Once again he can fix the headspace issue to a degree by giving the cases a stepped shoulder. He can limit the amount of severe bulging/stretching on one side of the case by making it uniform all the way around. Or he can simply not fire them at all. Until he's able to determine whether or not his lot is one of the dangerous one's he probably should relegate it to paperweight status. Unfortunately narrouw cases are not too uncommon with commercial 6.5Swede. Now combined with short headspace, too much or incorrect powders you can and may have severe issues. You can limit the effects of them as a handloader.

Ok you have a scale and a Chrono. Tape on a round? Give me a break!!! Lets use some duct tape and fire some 22 magnum rounds in a .38 special. These cases are annealed at the mouth but as you progress back toward the rim the brass is hard not supposed to expand. So a small case head will try to expand due to chamber pressure but it should not/cannot expand .006/.008 to fill the chamber. This is where you get the shiny ring! Do you know what headspace IS?? Do You know the definaiion of headspace??? Should the round not fit the chamber???? How small a round are you willing to use tape to fill the chamber? Maybe you get away with this method but to advise others is a Law Suit iin the making. I'm Done! This is futile, stupid, and dangerous!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.