Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I asked this too awhile back. I beleive its still an "unknown" marking. It could be a deopt mark, but who knows. Although you see them from time to time, I don't think its all that common. If it was cheap, I'd probably buy it. At least that marking adds some unique aspect to an otherwise common rilfe.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
You could buy a russian -english english -russian dictionary and find a whooole lot of possibilities!

you (could assume) the M means ministry and work through the Ps till something trips your trigger.
In my dictionary the P (as an example) could abbreviate Reconnaissance.

·
Silver Bullet member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel it's a post war mark. The 91/30 I saw had a PM 86 under the date. It also had a B inside of a circle (Budapest arsenal) on the stock. Sometimes the 91/30's will only be PM stamped, no number after it. If there's a list of Soviet organizations, one of them may match for PM, but it would only be a wild guess.

·
Silver Bullet member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those who have PM marked rifles. Does the stock have any Hungarian marks (B inside circle and/or 02)? I'm wondering if the PM mark has to do with rifles that were in Hungary at some time.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
I will have to check, I have one PM and my buddy has one also.
Thats a good theory.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
I checked My PM and there is no Hungarian marks any where on it. just square with catty corner slash refurb mark. Mine is a 1929 dated ISH.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I feel it's a post war mark. The 91/30 I saw had a PM 86 under the date. It also had a B inside of a circle (Budapest arsenal) on the stock. Sometimes the 91/30's will only be PM stamped, no number after it. If there's a list of Soviet organizations, one of them may match for PM, but it would only be a wild guess.
If we are talking about same PM stamp, I have to disagree. It could not be ONLY post war stamp. My SA stamped, finn captured Izhevsk 1924 m91 dragoon also has the PM stamp like in the link in the row 6:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks04.htm

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,549 Posts
Same here, my Pm marked rifle is a Finnish wartime captured M91/30. Matter of fact, I thought the Pm was only showing up on Finnish captured rifles?

--
added: Just checked mine. 1933 Tula M91/30, SA on left, Finnish 41 property mark on right, Pm below SN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.