Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a collection that includes a PM/IJ-70 Fake Hi-Cap. I pretty much don't care for commercial Maks and have only observed a couple of this particular type ("fake high cap.") It has the hug "high-cap" style grip on it.

Question: Will a normal Baikal grip or even a red star grip fit on the PM/IJ-70 "Fake High-Cap" Mak?

TIA,
SlimTim

·
Registered
814 Posts
Tim,
Not sure I have seen one of these...what makes it a "fake high-cap"? I have seen the 12 round double stack commercial IJ-70's...does it resemble these?
Flakshield

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm looking at buying a collection that includes a PM/IJ-70 Fake Hi-Cap. I pretty much don't care for commercial Maks and have only observed a couple of this particular type ("fake high cap.") It has the hug "high-cap" style grip on it.

Question: Will a normal Baikal grip or even a red star grip fit on the PM/IJ-70 "Fake High-Cap" Mak?

TIA,
SlimTim
Yes they will accept any of the standard 8rd Makarov Grips. Pearce, Military, Makawrap, Red Star, Etc. The frame is the same as the 8rd versions, its the goofy grip that was adapted for that model.

-George

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Tim,
Not sure I have seen one of these...what makes it a "fake high-cap"? I have seen the 12 round double stack commercial IJ-70's...does it resemble these?
Flakshield
I don't have one myself, just the true Hi-Cap version. I am under the impression, (that sounds better than ASSuming), that the only difference in the IJ70 PMM fake version in the modified Hi-Cap grip. The mag is a standard single stack mag is it not? I stockpiled my original grip for safe keeping and use the Pearce rubber grip on the beast.
(Click on pics to enlarge)

View attachment 130693

View attachment 130694

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flakshield--my spotty recollection is this model has a high cap frame and grip though it sports a narrow, 8 round mag well. However, I see George says it has a normal frame and will take a regular grip. Dunno if there is more than one variant, or if I am mistaken (likely.) The one I saw that I could swear had a high cap frame belonged to MakMak who used to have the website makarovinfo.com . I'll try to see if he recalls, though I imagine George is most likely spot on.

Thanks George, 99% you are right, but still, I could swear I recall a high cap type frame with an 8 round mag well.

Timbo--keep that thought. I'm thinking age is taking it's toll on me. :(

SlimTim

·
Copper Bullet member
2,044 Posts
I did a test for a member and tried
to fit a red star grip on my Makarov bb-pistol.
(it has what appears to be the hi-cap grips)
...and it was a no-go.

·
Registered
71 Posts

TIA,
SlimTim
ST:

I had one just as you describe. I replaced the hideous hi-cap-style grip with a regular 8-round Pearce grip without a problem. As I recall, I traded the fake hi-cap grip to another forum member who actually liked that grip and used it on his single stack Mak. The plot thickens...

Take care,
Marko

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is a picture of a Makarov I recently purchased with the "fake" High Cap Grips. It only accepts the standard 8 round magazines. I have since replaced these grips with standard East German grips and they fit perfectly. The only difference between this Mak and any other standard Mak is the grip style.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a picture of a Makarov I recently purchased with the "fake" High Cap Grips. It only accepts the standard 8 round magazines. I have since replaced these grips with standard East German grips and they fit perfectly. The only difference between this Mak and any other standard Mak is the grip style.
TWalker:

Mine was exactly as yours. Fake hi-cap grip; accepted single stack mags; accepted regular single stack grip.

Take care,
Marko

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
what are the 3 gold symbols at the back of the frame in the right of the picture?
The mark on the left is the "mark of correspondence by obligatory certification and the code of the certifying body."

The mark on the right is a proof mark.

I think the center is a commercial marking from the Izhevsk arsenal where the pistol was produced.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The mark on the left is the "mark of correspondence by obligatory certification and the code of the certifying body."

The mark on the right is a proof mark.

I think the center is a commercial marking from the Izhevsk arsenal where the pistol was produced.
What he said.........

-George :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a IJ-70 it came with single stack mag. Looking at the magazine well it sure seems like it could handle a wider mag such as the double stack ten cap mag. Does anyone have any experience with this? The back of the double stack mag would have to fit into the groove that is the width of the single stack mag.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Absolutely interchangeable. Red Star grips, Baikal, East German..any and all of the standard 8 rounders will switch.

I love the False Hi cap grips though. Just for fun, put a small "S" ring thru your magazine release, and then put a second S ring through the lanyard ring on the FHC grip and loop it through the S ring in your mag release. You end up with an S ring system that is easy to reach, appropriately angled for your finger to grip (not running sideways through your mag release), and which keeps the mag well release ring from getting in the way of the mag when you reload. Make these changes and then try to do some fast reloading with a couple of magazines. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how quick you can become.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts