Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that SOG has drill 1903A3's and CMP has M1 drill rifles, both plugged and welded. This might be a stupid question, but can you just replace the parts that are welded and have a working, shooting rifle? It might just be cheaper to buy a already working one, I don't know.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Banned
67 Posts
I've never seen an M1 drill rifle, but the 03-A3 drill rifles are very thoroughly demilled. The magazine cutoff is welded in position, the bolt face is welded up, the barrel is welded to the receiver and the chamber is plugged. Some HAVE restored them to operation, but I would neither buy nor fire one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
People that demil these weapons should be slaped. Just my opinon

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People that demil these weapons should be slaped. Just my opinon
Exactly, they are almost as bad as the people that melt or cut them down.

·
Registered
320 Posts
FYI, here is a pic that the CMP used to have posted of one of the DPs that they sold:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You would be better off just getting yourself a working rifle if you want something you can shoot or collect for that matter. If your looking for something to hang on the wall and look at then get one of the SOG rifles.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,289 Posts
FYI, here is a pic that the CMP used to have posted of one of the DPs that they sold:

S O L D :eek: ??

You'd have to Pay me to take it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
they are good for what is in their description, use as drill rifles and nothing more. sadly these ones have been put out to pasture.

don't even think about getting these to restore them because that is a dangerous and fundamentally flawed idea.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There were a big bunch of these at the last gun show I went to. Seller said all you needed to do was replace barrel and fix pin/bolt face. Also saw that the safety lever was welded down.
He never said anything about the barrel being welded to the reciever . Told people how easy it was to fix them to make shooters out of them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
let me explain one simple principle of metal so that you will understand why restoring these "hangers" is a bad idea.

when steel is heated via welding its properties change. some metals which before were able to handle sudden small explosions will now fragment due to fragile metal. all receivers, barrels, bolts, and other firing related parts are specially heated to prevent explosion when exposed to sudden heat and pressure. this treatment is not easily and safely done at home by amateurs and should be left to the professionals to prevent restoration projects from turning into grenades (there are many reports of this). these professionals usually charge an outrageous amount to do this even if they will consider trying it.

so simply put, don't consider it or even buy a "restored" drill rifle. they are NOT safe.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
If they were restored by someone who knew exactly what he was doing, you wouldn't know it.

You might be shooting one right now.

That being said, I wouldn't advise doing it when the damage is as extensive as shown in the picture. Unless you know how to do everything yourself, the labor cost would be too great to justify versus just buying one that has not been demilled.

One of the reasons the Finns did a hardness test on their recievers before they reused them was to try to cull out those that had been subjected to extremely high heat levels. When you weld metal the metal becomes much harder that it was before, which is not good for a gun barrel or reciever. You can get it back where it was by annealing, but maybe I should not state too much in that area. Welded metal is soo hard it will destroy most drill bits. You might think that is good but in fact it is exactly the opposite, eliminating the flexibility in properly hardened material, making it brittle and prone to fatigue cracking.

I have restored a parade rifle, but it was one that only had the barel plugged with an orfice to fire blanks. How do I know that? It was painted white, and chrome plated. It was made in 1918 and still in US inventory 79 years later. I think it was used to fire salutes, but that is not really the topic of this post.

When a rifle is demilled in the method shown in the pictures, it's really a waste of money to restore it. The welds are strategically placed to make it exactly that way. I have welding skills and have a brother with far superior welding skills in steel, aluminum, titaniun, etc.

No matter how you torch cut a sub gun reciever, it can be restored. I could do it but I really am not interested in something that could get me in huge trouble, to say nothing about the cost of ammo, or a place to shoot a machine gun. I prefer my simple bolt actions.

regards
badger

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here is a pic of the cutoff area of the "good" reactivated DP that I bought.

The fellow who did the work ground-down & polished the area and then airbrushed the receiver to hide the work.

This was the second such reactivated rifle that I unknowingly purchased online (both went back for refunds) and the reason that I no longer seek 03A3s online.

·
Registered
320 Posts
And for those who have never seen it, here is a pic of the "bad" reactivated DP that I purchased online.

Scary, huh? ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
DP rifles are good for wallhangers (but i'd rather hang a shooter on the wall and take it off the wall when i shoot it) and great for ROTC i remember accidentally smacking myself a couple times with the DP Garands we used in JROTC when i was in high school... always while trying something fancy... never dropped it though

·
Registered
280 Posts
Holy Cow Youngblood! That last one was downright scary. The CMP ones were good for parts. @ $10 apiece I got 5-6 new rear site assemblies and all the little pins and such from the receiver. I bought a SC barrel off falfiles that some dummy ground out the chamber and rewelded it so he could rechamber it. All gunked up with "cosmoline" in the pictures. Only buy from this site now..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Holy Cow Youngblood! That last one was downright scary. ...
Yeah ... my heart skipped a beat (maybe a couple) when I removed the HG and my brain wrapped around what my eyes were looking at.

I have always completely disassembled/cleaned/inspected all new acquisitions before proof-firing them from a protected position ... I figure that THAT one made all of the extra effort worthwhile. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts