Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the rifle I mentioned in the other posting just below about showing your bayonets. Bought the whole outfit from a pawn shop many years ago. Paid $60. Owner said it came from a vet(?). You know how that goes. He did question the monopod. It appears to be all matching numbers. Information is appreciated. Thanks. Ed

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,598 Posts
I will bow to the experts opinion, but I believe that this Type 99 is a 27th series Tokyo Juki Kogyo.

The fact that is has the anti-aircraft sights and monopod would place the date of manufacture to the early 40's.

ukrifleman.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Per the charts in Don Voigt's excellent book, "The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle", the rifle is a series 37, made from III '42 to Iv '43. Since each series consisted of 100,000 rifles, and the numbers were repeated in each series, that rifle was in the first 10,000, which I think would make it made probably in late 1942.
Is there a number on the back of the dust cover, and does it also match?

Good catch!

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I will bow to the experts opinion, but I believe that this Type 99 is a 27th series Tokyo Juki Kogyo.

The fact that is has the anti-aircraft sights and monopod would place the date of manufacture to the early 40's.

ukrifleman.
It's a 37th series. TJK first did rifles in the 37th then later on in the 27th. The 37th rifles were Kokura inspected and the 27th was done by Nagoya.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,305 Posts
I have a 37th as well which is a beautiful, all matching rifle but ground. These early 37ths seem to be a bit scarce

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Very nice rifle. Take the time to check all of the number parts to see if they are all matching. This one was subcontracted from Kokura. I would also be interested in know if either the Kokura or Nagoya subcontracted guns are more or less rare comparatively.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a few more PIC's. The number on the dust cover does not match. Thanks for all the responses and information. Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Great Gun - I wish I could find things like that for $60!

Question for the experts on the muzzle cover - I was told not to leave originals on the gun with the spring compressed as it will eventually crack or bend (for the plastic ones anyway); is that correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.