Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently helped the widow of a deceased gunsmith buddy liquidate much of his collection. The really good stuff was already gone, I stepped in to help sell off a bunch of 60's deer hunting rifles and got a pretty good price for them and handed over all of the loot to her.
My friend had two rifles hanging on his shop wall that I always lusted after and I was able to purchase them for myself as a memento of the many kind and generous things he did for me over the years.

One was the Mauser shown here, the other is a wall hanger grade Win Low Wall in 25-20.

All #'s on this Mauser match except for the rear action screw, which looks to be a replacement. There is no SN on the mag follower but I have no reason to believe it's a replacement. The bore is bright and new looking.

I'm not going to sell it but would like an estimation of value and any comments about the model in general. I assume Germany was actively rearming thier military at this point, was this rifle made in violation of the WW1 treaty? Did features of the K98 change later on from found on this gun after they blantantly began to defy that treaty?
I don't see any swazi stampings. Is it amoung the more desireable 98's?

Many thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
this is a mauser "banner" and if you do sell it i would like a crack at it. this rifle was made for the post office for stray dogs. a kind of way to "hide" numbers of rifles being made during the pre rearmament. seriously, if you want to sell it let me know. i sent you a private message also up on the top right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave her $180 and $350 for the Low Wall. Less than it's worth but I had put a great deal of effort into selling 8 rifles for her and felt a good deal on the Mauser was ample reward.
Where/how might this K98 have been used in WW2?

I'm not selling so there is no harm done in edjamacating me on value. ALL numbers match except the rear screw, which does have a proof on it but mismatched two digits.

What's it worth?

i bet you got a really good deal.. how much was it?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
the DRP on the buttstock stands for "deutsche reichspost" (german post office/post system/postal service/whatever). chasdev here had one a while back, and i got to fondle it at the local show a couple times.

he or another knowledgeable collector will be able to tell you more, but from what i recall, these rifles were manufactured with the purpose of rearming germany after WWI, but to sort of slip by the sanctions the allies put on them regarding weapons manufacturing. the government produced these rifles "for the post office", but actually gave them to rising paramilitary factions such as the SS.

you got an unbelievable deal at 180 bucks....i think these things go for $3000 or more. IF you can find one for sale.

congrats!

·
Gold Bullet member
431 Posts
DRP

Great looking DRP. Super guns as I collect only MO and really love the Banners. I would figure your gun is worth 2000+ easy as the DRP/DR guns command a premium. Its also nice to see that the gun stayed in original condition and did not get chopped as many of those early commercials did.
Great find.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
Check the sling slot on the right side for stampings in the wood; there may be a designation for the city where it was issued. These were initially intended for the German postal authorities; there is no way to establish later use by other organisations in the course of the war.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stamped DRP and KBG there.
I had no idea this rifle was that collectable and will have to rethink my desire to own it. As a nice memento worth $400 or so I was fine with having it in my safe. It means little to me other than a mememto of a lost friend and the low wall hangs on my wall to serve that function.
I'm also a bit put off at owning a direct link to Hi*lers SS and clandestine rearmament leading to so much human misery.
I think I will eventually let this gun go to someone who would really treasure it for what it is.

Sincere thanks for the replies,

Mike
Salt Lake City

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Stamped DRP and KBG there.
I had no idea this rifle was that collectable and will have to rethink my desire to own it. As a nice memento worth $400 or so I was fine with having it in my safe. It means little to me other than a mememto of a lost friend and the low wall hangs on my wall to serve that function.
I'm also a bit put off at owning a direct link to Hi*lers SS and clandestine rearmament leading to so much human misery.
I think I will eventually let this gun go to someone who would really treasure it for what it is.

Sincere thanks for the replies,

Mike
Salt Lake City
well as Wapruf2 said, one cant be sure that it actually did go to the SS. it was meant for the postal service, so it would probably be safer to bet that it DID go to the postal service. i think i worded my other post poorly....as to imply that EVERY DRP went to the SS.

i'm sure you'll have to beat the collectors off with a stick if you choose to sell it!

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
Is it KBG or Kbg? In either case, probably Königsberg, which was taken by the Soviets after a hard fight; how it got into an area occupied by US troops (which it may have done)would be interesting to know but probably impossible to figure out.
I know of no authoritative evidence indicating acquisition of DRP rifles by the SS. In its period of manufacture the SS was scrounging weapons wherever they could and relying upon leftover WWI rifles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's Kbg
I'm not hung up on whether it went to the SS. It's more an era specific concern. Hi*ler Youth, crystal nacht, whatever. It's a relic specific to a time when right and evil were in the balance, and tipped the wrong way.
It's not a PC concern. I collect WW1 and WW2 aviator memiors and have many by German pilots and enjoy reading that perspective.
This gun should belong to someone else, and we can leave it at that.

Is it KBG or Kbg? In either case, probably Königsberg, which was taken by the Soviets after a hard fight; how it got into an area occupied by US troops (which it may have done)would be interesting to know but probably impossible to figure out.
I know of no authoritative evidence indicating acquisition of DRP rifles by the SS. In its period of manufacture the SS was scrounging weapons wherever they could and relying upon leftover WWI rifles.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think you should give it away so you can sleep better, save those restless nights because you profitted off the Corporal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Mike. That is truly a beautiful Banner Mauser. Would love to have one in my collection. But if it was me, which it is not, I would do myself a favor and go back to your friend's widow and inform her of the rifle's estimated value and negotiate a more equitable price. Being compensated for selling a few rifles for her is one thing, but getting that rifle for $180 seems just a little extreme to me. Or if I didn't want the rifle, I would get my money back and sell it for her at a price more commensurate with its true estimated value.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that's the delima. When I gave her $180 I told her it was worth more and said I didn't want it very bad and it was all I was interested in paying.
I think we were both thinking it was worth ~$300 or so, which was all the compensation I was looking for - and none at all would have been fine. I think I actually overpaid a bit on the low wall as it's plenty rough.

She's since given me other rifles to sell because she knows I can get her a great deal more than the gun shops will give after they take the 35% they've earned on consignment.

But I bought this one under honest pretense and frankly feel the profit to be had is mine. She's not hurting for money so my conscience is clear whatever I choose to do.

Mike

Hi Mike. That is truly a beautiful Banner Mauser. Would love to have one in my collection. But if it was me, which it is not, I would do myself a favor and go back to your friend's widow and inform her of the rifle's estimated value and negotiate a more equitable price. Being compensated for selling a few rifles for her is one thing, but getting that rifle for $180 seems just a little extreme to me. Or if I didn't want the rifle, I would get my money back and sell it for her at a price more commensurate with its true estimated value.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,291 Posts
I think we were both thinking it was worth ~$300 or so.

But I bought this one under honest pretense and frankly feel the profit to be had is mine. She's not hurting for money so my conscience is clear whatever I choose to do.

Mike
Then the honest thing to do is to tell her it is worth well over a $1000 and see if she is still fine with it. Taking money from widows gives collectors a bad rep and will put no jewels in your crown for sure. Rationalizing it by thinking she doesn't need the money doesn't really add much to your argument, or good name.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By this rationale should I go to her and say that I overpaid for the low wall by $100 (this is true) and ask for a refund of that amount?

What if our transaction had only been for the low wall at $100 over value because I didn't bother to check value before making the deal.
Could it possibly be acceptable for me to go back to her and ask for the difference to make the deal right?

Funny thing about these forums is, you can't post "I'm against killing little puppies" without a 6 page thread resulting, populated by those who find pleasure in casting moral judgement on the net, with no chance the lens will be rotated to focus on them.

Then the honest thing to do is to tell her it is worth well over a $1000 and see if she is still fine with it. Taking money from widows gives collectors a bad rep and will put no jewels in your crown for sure. Rationalizing it by thinking she doesn't need the money doesn't really add much to your argument, or good name.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It was his deal, he knew what he was doing, and we cannot do anything about it, because at the end, no matter how much we tell him its not moral or unethical, ultimately, it is his decision to make. If I were to be in the same situation, I would at least let her know the rifle's worth, but it is not my decision to make, and hope that nomo4me would decide the path he believes in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.