Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to add a Mosin carbine to my "type collection" of mil-surp carbines. It is absolutely NON-NEGOTIABLE requirement that there not be a permanent attached or swing out bayonet. Not missing. I mean never had had one. I am open to anything else and in the way of advise, the more common gun in better condition maybe preferred over rare variations. Although I do like the idea of Made in USA Mosin or reworked in Finland if that is an option to look for. The rare variation that are not interesting to me are certain armory or Russian markings.

I appreciate any warnings or tips what to look for and what to avoid. Common issues to watch for. How important is matching bolt? Head spacing concerns? I do see is the M38. That looks fine. As always prices are all over the map on the internet.

Any current source for M38 (or ?) imports? I know it is probably to late, but; any chance of getting one wrapped in plastic with cosmoline?

What would be about right cost for a typical example, nothing special and nothing wrong (and define that if you can).

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Real late to the party chief. Your best bet will be Gunbroker.

Ahh I remember like yesterday my collection of laminate M38 stocked M38s. Had a total of 5 of them together at one point.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real late to the party chief. Your best bet will be Gunbroker.

Ahh I remember like yesterday my collection of laminate M38 stocked M38s. Had a total of 5 of them together at one point.
I am not surprised, real late huh. Better late than never?

Lowest price for an m38 or m91/38 carbine will be about $375 if you can find one. Most likely $450+.
I saw a few around $450 on Gun Broker. Many higher!

Are there any potential pitfalls or weak links with Mosin carbines or rifles in general?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,825 Posts
Those guys are right. I had no idea. They have increased quite a bit. I managed a M38 for each year of manufacture including a Tula and a Finn marked one but it took time and some work to get them all together. Now it looks like $400 to $500 is in the expected range or maybe even more. I was flabbergasted lately when I saw what the Yugo M48's are bringing. I gotta get out more.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Your non negotiable requirement that your Mosin carbine both not have and never have had a attached bayonet limits you to the very rare M1907 carbine, the M38 carbine, the M91/59 carbine and a handful of uber rare Finnish Mosin carbine varients. Of those the M38 is the most common followed by the M91/59. None are currently being imported so you have to search the secondary market as said above. There are no American made Mosin carbines, if you find one it's a M91 cut down to carbine length. Price seems to be in the 450 range currently as Dallased stated. I'm curious about your restriction on bayonets, is it just a collecting focus thing or some state gun law I'm unaware of? I ask because the M44 carbine is the easiest Mosin carbine to find and is usually the cheapest as well if a Soviet made example.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont like the looks or handling of the attached bayonet. A personal problem. I have seen a couple of the M44 locally. I was surprised to see one with almost every part a miss match. I will check out the M1907 and M91/59 model numbers. I am going to setup some searches on Gun Broker. That gives me 2 more. The model has to be combind with another word, Mosin, Russian, Mosin-Nagant (that is 9 combinations)

Maybe not that many. I got 3 setup now under various "Mosin xxx" in C&R under $500. I will get daily email as new ones pop up.

·
Registered
767 Posts
There's a nice 1944 Izhevsk M38 on axisarmsonline.com, great store with new rifles listed all the time. Check em out

edit: you probly wont find a m1907, if you do it could cost thousands...

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,100 Posts
A 1907 Carbine, when found, will start at around $2,500 for a mismatched dog, and go up.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,554 Posts
I would add, if you have any problem with counterbores, be aware that a large percentage of older import (Century) M38s will have one. It's less predominant on rifles that came in during the surge of imports around 2013 or so.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would add, if you have any problem with counterbores, be aware that a large percentage of older import (Century) M38s will have one. It's less predominant on rifles that came in during the surge of imports around 2013 or so.
This. All of mine have a counterbore.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I’d look for a very nice 91/59. Most are in excellent condition with great bores. They are a post war conversion, so if that turns you off then revert back to an M38.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,554 Posts
This is perhaps a small point, but if you're planning on taking the carbine you buy to the range quite a bit, there's another advantage to a 91/59: the finish. The shellac on normal refurb Soviet Mosins doesn't stand up well to use, and the rifle will start looking mangy after just a few range trips. Most 91/59s, on the other hand, are finished in a much more durable, yellowish finish (likely some type of lacquer). It's similar to the yellow finish seen on many M44s that went through Bulgaria during their service lives.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Olrelic, My friend from the Carcano forum! Hello.

These last 6 posts are very helpful. I deleted my 1907 search and will keep an eye out for the 91/59.

I will take a look at axis arms. Right now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is also the 91/38, these were older M1891 rifles cut down to M38 length, they don't show up too often though. The M38 or 91/59 are both great rifles. There are still deals out there, I picked up an M38 just last year for $300 off of a local trader board, bonus was it was in an M38 stock!

·
Registered
948 Posts
There is also the 91/38, these were older M1891 rifles cut down to M38 length, they don't show up too often though. The M38 or 91/59 are both great rifles. There are still deals out there, I picked up an M38 just last year for $300 off of a local trader board, bonus was it was in an M38 stock!
The M91/38 originally had a side mounted bayonet so it doesn't fit the OP's collecting focus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts