Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeepers! People on all sorts of forums calling AK74s as AK47s, AK101s as AKMs, AKMs as AK47s, Krinkovs as PSLs(come on?!?) Bullpups as krinkovs. PSLs as Dragunovs(which as most know isnt even a kalashnikov)

Please, if you own a rifle, take the time to learn what it is. That WASR10 is not a AK74 or AK47, its an AKM commercial clone. If I had a penny for every picture of an AKM with the title "ak47" I would be a millionaire.

Would you call your mustang a ferrari infront of a ferrari owner? Sure they are BOTH cars, just like all AKs are AKs but there are big differences in the types.

Maybe it just annoys me more than others but I like to call things by their proper names.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Jeepers! People on all sorts of forums calling AK74s as AK47s, AK101s as AKMs, AKMs as AK47s, Krinkovs as PSLs(come on?!?) Bullpups as krinkovs. PSLs as Dragunovs(which as most know isnt even a kalashnikov)

Please, if you own a rifle, take the time to learn what it is. That WASR10 is not a AK74 or AK47, its an AKM commercial clone. If I had a penny for every picture of an AKM with the title "ak47" I would be a millionaire.

Would you call your mustang a ferrari infront of a ferrari owner? Sure they are BOTH cars, just like all AKs are AKs but there are big differences in the types.

Maybe it just annoys me more than others but I like to call things by their proper names.
I'm afraid this is a fight that can't be won. I'll take a GT Mustang over some over priced I-talian job any day.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid this is a fight that can't be won. I'll take a GT Mustang over some over priced I-talian job any day.
Oh I know it cants be won, but im astounded some self proclaimed collectors on here would call AKMs AK47s and PSLs dragunovs. If it was tried in other sections someone would be quickly corrected but here everything is just thrown into the same group.
I guess its a joke to many, but what ticks me off is years from now when these are high collectors items these same people poking fun will be the ones &%&$ing.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ncretile,

I certainly agree with you! Look's like the "old" gang is going away.....

caver
One of the many reasons I stopped coming to this section..
I go on AR15s ak forums and you will find people posting AKs and where they found them,builds and such all day long.

Here its mostly SKS threads and "Where do I find this". Certainly doesnt have the energy it used to..

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,854 Posts
I bet when most say AK you know what they are talking about as well, and yes I have corrected quite a few here on calling everything an AK but like the term izzy we all know what they mean...

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
When I say izzy you know exactly what im refering to. If someone goes to sell a WASR10 as an AK74, they are totally mislabeling it.

I left this section for a reason, im staying gone. Cya
'Izzy' implies laziness. Just like 'Romy', 'Winny', 'Remmy' etc. Annoying? Sure. Calling an AKM an AK-47, or a WASR a GP75...maybe that's more a lack of knowledge instead of laziness...a bit like calling a Mosin a Nagant (hense my previous post). I know I'm still learning the AK platform. When I first started collecting them, I was overwhelmed by the amount of variance on the AK platform. I honestly never knew, and I can also honestly say I still don't know a whole lot yet either.

Perhaps instead of letting the door hit your butt on the way out, why not stick around, suck it up and instruct those who make these mistakes so they don't continue to do so? Or...maybe you have and have just reached the end of your patience and I'm just seeing the tail end of it, I dunno.

Best regards.

Keith

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ok straiten me out here. I want to know. What makes an AKM an AKM? I have built Romy G kits on NDS recevers. Is that an Ak or a AKM? I thought that the rear tang was a tell tail mark, Making it an AKM. Please help me understand. I dont want to miss-speak an be just anouther JackOF#. Please help bring me up to your level of understanding and knowledge.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,854 Posts
Ok straiten me out here. I want to know. What makes an AKM an AKM? I have built Romy G kits on NDS recevers. Is that an Ak or a AKM? I thought that the rear tang was a tell tail mark, Making it an AKM. Please help me understand. I dont want to miss-speak an be just anouther JackOF#. Please help bring me up to your level of understanding and knowledge.
Your rifle is of the AKM pattern, the AK was the original model that started off with a welded and sheet metal construction receiver then moved to a milled receiver, this design was simplified into the AKM pattern in the late 50's and generally means stamped and riveted construction. The barrel profile changed to a more stepped pattern VS the AK's more straight taper, the bayo lug was moved to the gas block VS the AK's FSB mounted bayo amongst other changes. What most today call an AK is really a AKM, it's akin to calling a clip a mag to some.

One thing to remember is Chinese and Yugo rifles follow the AK pattern much closer then the AKM even though they might be of stamped and riveted construction.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

It can certainly be a bit frustrating but it's not that big of a deal. It's been a topic of discussion since the beginning.

But you could probably give a good start and set the example with your complaint about it by editing the caption under your rifle's photo on your posts with the correct terminology.

From what you have: "Russian AK47 Type III 1956 with Izzy type1 bayonet."

To the: "Russian AK (Type III) 1956 with Izhevsk M1947 ("First Model") Bayonet"

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
When I say izzy you know exactly what im refering to. If someone goes to sell a WASR10 as an AK74, they are totally mislabeling it.

I left this section for a reason, im staying gone. Cya
pot calling the kettle black there, isn't it? when you say izzy are you referring to izhevsk or israeli? bye now.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The very intent of this post was somewhat misplaced and ultimately resulted in the poster's view being a bit hypocritical.

I think we've all become a little worse off for having ever wasting time on it. That's time we'll never get back. :(

1 - 20 of 79 Posts