Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please , is this Japanese ammo belt?
The mark on the brass buckles is English word -ARROW and aa arrow sign.
There seems to be a Japanese name in black ink at the back, please look at the picture.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
304 Posts
I don't know if the Chinese used "lift the dot" fasteners (could be "lend lease"). Chinese leather pouches and belts (that I know of) closed with a brass stud and slot in the leather similar to the US pistol holster. Is there any manufacturing data on any of the grommets behind the brass studs?

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
"Lift the dot" fasteners were made by Japan ( the T99 ammo LMG magazine satchel is fitted with identical Brass Fasteners.) The "arrow" brand could be Japanese, for export...they flooded the European and US markets in the 20s and 30s with items of haberdashery. ( as they did Post WW II).

I suggest one researches "Arrow" -Haberdashery/Fasteners, etc. There are several brands that have been found on these and similar "quick release" fateners...Carr or Carr-fast, Fiocchi, and a host of US Makers.
A check of a T99 Magazine satchel will reveal if the fasteners on question are Japanese. (May have been used by the Chinese, as a lot of trade with Japan went on the the 20s and early 30s...)

Interesting "Rag Trade" history.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
If it is Chinese, it would be for the ZB-26 LMG magazines, rather than the BAR. Which puts it in the Arsenal-made or supplied category ( ie, may be European, or Chinese assembled). A Look into some period Photos of Nationalist troops from the late 1920s and early 1930s with ZB26 guns would confirm the Bandoleer provenance.

regards,
Doc AV
AV ballistics.

Philo-Armae Sinensis .

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Using the snap for size comparison, it doesn't look big enough for either LMG mag. I'm thinking rifle ammo. Pouches don't even look long enough for C96 clips. Just a guess.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,536 Posts
Found this photo through a brief internet image search. I know its not the same as the belt being discussed, but there are a lot more pictures of leather bandoliers, etc. with Chinese soldiers holding broomhandle mausers, etc.

John in Charlotte, NC

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Nice "Posed" shot of Chinese Nationalist soldier ( "Coal Scuttle German Helmet") holding ZB26 or Chinese copy...except he has his Left hand in the wrong place.!!!!
His hand and naked forearm is right in the Ejection Path of the cases as they come from the gun...I know ( when 16yo) firing a Bren Gun ( derivative of ZB LMG) and had my forearm peppered with very hot shell cases (and I was holding the Bipod., but my arm was not held Outwards....Ouch)

The Pouches he has are cloth Wartime manufacture, and looks like they may have been for clipped or packed ammo, although a ZB gunner usually had several extra mags with him, and refilled as required.

The earlier photo of the Thompson gunners had combined belts with 20 round ( Thompson)magazine Pouches, and 10 round Mauser clip pouches ( some C96/#712 Brooms had removable magazines as well).

The leather Pouches in the Original Question look like they would hold 2-3 clips of 7,9 ammo, either S type or even M88 type-- (or a 15 round (German) packet), but not a ZB magazine. Chinese Mounted troops, maybe... Infantry by WW II tended to have cheaper-to-make cotton/canvas bandos and belts.

an Interesting and largely unexplored area of Militaria...that of Chinese ammo carrying equipment....More photo-research required.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts