Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum but I am a long time gun owner/lover. I inherited this rifle but I know nothing about it. I have done some research but have come up empty handed. The only legible markings on the rifle (without cleaning, which I won't do) is "B. Cole 1849" on the top of the barrel. It is a beautiful piece. The stock is Tiger Grain wood; at least that's what I think it's called. Any help would be very much appritiated.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
You do indeed have a very beautiful long rifle. Of course, the 1849 is the date of manufacture, though this long full-stock is more typical of an earlier era. It looks never to have been a flintlock, though; at least I didn't see any indications on the lockplate. Rifles such as this were usually made by smiths like Cole from commercially available metal parts: the lock, triggerguard, buttplate, barrel, etc. The barrel likely has a proof mark, possibly underneath hidden by the wood; often these were made in Belgium or England. There might be a maker's name on the lockplate, but the other parts are likely unmarked. They then proceeded to "build" the rifle, usually stocking it themselves with wood such as this "tiger stripe" grain. The silver inlays in the stock are especially nice and should add to its value. This is of course a civillian hunting rifle, and in no way a military arm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, James. Any idea where I may be able to learn more about it or what it might appraise for? Contemplating on mounting and hangng it in my bar but I'd like to know more about it. Unfortunatly my gramps passed so I can't get any info from him. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.