Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I've searched everywhere I can and still can't find out what rifle this peep sight is for. I suspect that it must be for a Mauser 98, Springfield 03 or Winchester Mod. 70, but I have no way to be sure. The only markings are Redfield Pat. Pend. and a Number "1".The knobs are different than any other Redfield sight I've found. Many thanks in advance for any help.
Brown Wood Door Wood stain Fixture
Hand Finger Camera lens Gas Camera accessory
Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Tire

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,295 Posts
I can't see what is stamped on one side of the mount or base,

is there a number?

looks like a right side mount which suggests 1903 or Mauser type action

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Appears Seventy Series. As Lyman above noting, should be an application code stamped on the BASE portion of the unit indicating specific application.
Good Luck!
John

·
Registered
69 Posts
According to a picture and description on page 106 of Old Gunsights by Nick Stroebel, it is a Redfield 100-A for a model 52 Winchester. We can rule out application for 1903 and 1922 series Springfields as those
are mounted on the right side, viewed from the butt, of the receiver.

On page 118 of The Winchester Model 52 by Herbert Houze, is pictured what
appears to be the same sight. It is described as a Redfield model 90F.

It seems certain that the sight is for a Model 52 Winchester.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Number 1 is the only designation. I guess it would take someone with an old Redfield catalog to figure it out.

·
Silver Bullet member
51,973 Posts
Appears Seventy Series. As Lyman above noting, should be an application code stamped on the BASE portion of the unit indicating specific application.
Good Luck!
John
agree/

·
Silver Bullet member
51,973 Posts
The Number 1 is the only designation. I guess it would take someone with an old Redfield catalog to figure it out.
tha'ts how i use to do it..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do any of you have an old Gun Digest or something similar with a Redfield catalog in it?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Knew there had to be something around on the 'Net': See below from 1954 era. Best image available for clarity! Note that all the codes are two letters! Perhaps the particular sight for some custom application, nomenclature removed?
The adjusting knobs 'style', are of later vintage Series 80 receiver sight. Perhaps very late Series 70 too, though likely not!
Best!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,295 Posts
According to a picture and description on page 106 of Old Gunsights by Nick Stroebel, it is a No. 100-A
for a model 52 Winchester. We can rule application for 1903 and 1922 series Springfields as those
are mounted on the right side, viewed from the butt, of the receiver.
looking at this pic, it appears to me to mount on the right side,

52's, as noted are on the left

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your correct. It is a right side mount.
Thanks for posting the catalog page, but I still can't find an illustration of this particular sight with the extra locking knob on the side.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for posting the catalog page, but I still can't find an illustration of this particular sight with the extra locking knob on the side.
I have scanned a couple of pages of a book that shows pictures of your exact sight. Will email them to you if will give me an email address. You can call eight seven zero-three two five-seven four nine one and give me your
if you want the scan.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Looks to me the "unknown knob in the side", functional slide lock knob. Correct?
I have Stroebels very good book... sure worth the money... Somewhere around here! Thanks for the page reference. A notation to look it up when some moments & motivation to find it! :)
These peep, diopter, receiver... sights by whatever name, are interesting and such great 'iron sight' alternatives to the 'senior crown less imbued with scopes!' A "reasonable accommodation!" :)
Thanks to all for wisdom!
John

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have scanned a couple of pages of a book that shows pictures of your exact sight. Will email them to you if will give me an email address. You can call eight seven zero-three two five-seven four nine one and give me your
if you want the scan.
PM Sent!
Thanks Herschel ! :)(y)(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts