Gunboards Forums banner

Please help me I.D. this bayo

1174 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Trenchwarfare
Anyone know what this bayonet is? It was given to me by a class II gun dealer when I made a large purchase. I asked him what it was and he had no idea but said I could have it if I wanted it. I've had it for about 10 years and never thought to I.D. it until now.

I put the quarter in the shot to give some scale to it. This is a large bayo by any standards I've ever known, The portion which would fit over the barrel is 13/16ths ID which is huge to me. I'm figuring this is for some sort of military shotgun/musket But I'm clueless on these things.

Also, I have no idea why it might be painted white. I imagine thats just something someone did after it was taken out of service. who knows....

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
As far as the hilt and crossguard are concerned Pattern 1853. But what about the square fuller (photo n°4)?
Could be a german contract or a volenteer piece. Can you clean the paint of by the ricasso and see if there are any markings. Use 0000 steel wool and a little oil gentle scrubbing. Also a photo of the motise slot from the end of the hilt.
Looks like a yataghan sword bayo that I have to suit a .577 snider artillery carbine.
As stated, British P53. I see a round dot of white paint on the guard. Is that a chrysanthemum? That would make it Japanese. That would account for the squared fuller.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.