Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the recent burglary thread, I started to worry about information that might be in the pictures that I uploaded. I had previously made sure that I had geo-tagging turned off, but it seemed that my pictures on my local drive had a lot of meta-data details stored in the JPG file. The resolution on my pictures was pretty large and the file size was around 2.5 MB.

Today I decided to copy back a picture I had uploaded and noticed that the file size was only 293 KB and that the meta-data details seem to have been removed. If this is so, then thanks to the people who designed the picture upload for protecting our information.

Can you please explain the process that happens when we upload a picture? Are the personal details indeed removed by the web site? Is the original file discarded in the process?

On a related note, when we post a picture into a thread, is a copy made for the thread or is it simply linked back to our picture store? If we remove a picture from the personal picture store, will the thread lose the picture?

Thanks.

Joe

·
Administrator
2,042 Posts
If I understand our systems correctly it varies based on how you upload the image, that is, what device you use. I know things get resized and edited via mobile for instance

Regarding the attachment store as you call it, if you remove it there it should remove from the thread yes.

Kyle

·
Registered
216 Posts
If I understand our systems correctly it varies based on how you upload the image, that is, what device you use. I know things get resized and edited via mobile for instance

Regarding the attachment store as you call it, if you remove it there it should remove from the thread yes.

Kyle
I think the OP was asking whether the picture remained on the website after he deletes it from his computer's storage. If so, yes, the picture has been transferred to the website and resides there, whether you remove it from your storage or not.

·
Administrator
2,042 Posts
Gotcha. And Kyle was referring to the section in General Settings, "Attachments" where you can view all attachments you have made and remove them if desired.

We may not always be on the same page, but I'm glad we are all at least reading the same book

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.